How do I know when hes ready to start potty training?? TMI

So my son turned 2 July 7th. His speech isnt great but he can talk and understand whats said. He knows that when we go to the big toilet, we potty. And he will touch his diaper and say peepee or ewww (poop haha guess i said ew a lot). So it seems like he knows whats going on. I got him his own lil potty seat but he WILL NOT sit on it if I think he needs to pee. He really doesnt like having his junk touched, even by himself. So when his dad goes to the bathroom I make him go with him, to see how its done. But he doesnt want to hold it. And he flexes it when he does sit down...I know thats a lot of info just rambled into one paragraph but I am so lost. There are signs that hes ready but nothing seems to teach him anything...Advice!

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 4:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They make strattle potties that rare good for boys. They help with splashing.

He might have more fun with it going outside. Do yiu have a shrub or something off the porch?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I heard many boys start around 3 don't push him or it'll regress. The fact he understands when he's messy is a good start
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 4:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I agree with ecodani- try letting him go outside to do his business- thats how my son learned.
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 4:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Sounds like he is starting to understand but is not quite ready. Keep up the teaching and get some of the cute books about going on the potty. It takes less time to train them when they are really ready
    Anonymous

• my son is 1 1/2 and i've been told over and over again that you can that they are ready to go to the potty if they start to grab themselves when they go, or if they come to you as soon as they pee or poop knowing that they did so. i too am trying to potty train my son and it just isn't working we are letting him follow us to the bathroom, we bought him a potty and at first he was scared of it but we are sitting it in the living room for a few weeks to help him get used to it and now he will touch it and not scream when he sees it anymore, i will deffinately let you know if this does the trick.
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• the only draw back to him going outside is this: we live in Alabama so all the men go outside and its not something I mind but I have seen kids of these dads just whip it out and go. I dont want my kids doin that. Now, if we are out and theres no bathroom around, whatever. Or even if theres a line or something, thats fine. But I think itll wind up with a bad habit...good idea though
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• bluesdawg02: he plays with it just fine lol its the being bottomless on it that he gets mad about. I did have it in the livingroom until a friends daughter used it lol
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• try putting him on the big potty. Maybe he doesn't want to go in the potty chair. I got a potty chair for my first now 5 when she was 10 months old and she would play with it and come time to try it at 18 months old wouldn't sit on it to potty so I then put her on the big potty she started going on it lol.

My second daughter again I bought a potty chair for her as well. She again played with it, but come time to train she wouldn't do it. She always had clothes off she was my nudest baby lol so one day she puts the lid down on the potty seat and sat on the top of it and pooped on it lol. Well I guess least she had the idea, but she wouldn't go in it lol. I put her on the big potty she started using it.

Next time around I am not buying a potty chair lol. I will use the big potty. So ya try the big potty once and see what happens also I use to try pooring warm water on them to get them to pee. It worked for me
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We just kept trying like every hour on the hour. We would put him on the potty until he would pee, and once he did, we rewarded him with his favorite thing ... M&M's! So, sometimes, he would go to the potty to try to pee just so he could get some M&M's. He is still working on the potty training thing in daycare, too, but this morning (the first time he's said it to me), he woke up and said "mommy potty." So, I put him on the potty, and sure enough he went. Your little one will get the hang of it :)
    sgt.youngs.wife

Answer by sgt.youngs.wife at 9:38 AM on Oct. 11, 2010