• In the Spotlight:

My own healthcare debate

Thinking of dropping my health insurance for more money per month to support my family. If I were to become ill - I wouldn't have the $1,000 - $1,500 deductible and/or the $5,000 - $7,500 out of pocket expenses. My kids are on CHIPS for medical coverage. I go to the doctor once a year for a check up - obgyn.
Would this be a good option or a mistake?
It's just myself and two kids. My ex husband has left the state and we haven't heard from him sense May 2009. He has not paid child support or anything sense April 2010.
Just trying to made ends meet, financially.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Health

• I see a mistake.....one good emergency and you will be bankrupt. Health insurance is a must for you, your the only parent for your children.....maybe you can find a cheaper plan.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 5:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My husband and I made that decicion one time and have just finished paying for it. We dropped him from my insranceas he never went to the doctor and not 2 months later he had an accident that required an ER visit and severl visits following up.
    nanny29

Answer by nanny29 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I would consider downgrading your coverage, but not dropping it. Even if you opt for a cheaper plan, you will still have the benefit of the insurance company negotiating prices. I had a surgery that I was billed over $17,000 for, and after the prices were adjusted for the insurance company's contract, it was less than $4000. If you drop your insurance completely, you will be on the hook for every penny if something bad happens.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2010