Help!!! I just started my period....

I had my daughter on may 22nd and I am still breastfeeding and yesterday I started my period an its really heavy and alot. I had alot of cramping too. I used a box of super absobancy tampons already, I have to change them every 3-4 hours so now I am using regular and I have to change it about once an hour...is this normal for my first period?? My periods weren't like this before...When I gave birth to my daughter I almost bled to death and I had emergency surgery and 4 quarts of blood and the next day 2 more quarts of blood...I guess thats why I am concerned.

jocelynvlong

Asked by jocelynvlong at 6:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Health

• The human body only has 10 pints. If you lost 4 quarts, you would have died, since there are two pints/quart. My husband is an ER doctor and I just asked him. On another note, unfortunately, this is normal for your first period after giving birth. The same thing happened to me. My subsequent periods have been much more normal. If you're really concerned, call your doctor.
    Anonymous

• opps i ments pints
    jocelynvlong

Answer by jocelynvlong at 6:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• i should have put units because thats what they called them, and thanks of the advise. I remember how it felt when I would get dizzy and out of touch so if I start to feel like that I will go to the er...
    jocelynvlong

Answer by jocelynvlong at 6:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I have had 3 kids....The first period after you have them is always the worst.....Don't worry your not dying......Just keep an eye on it ...it should not last more than 4 days before it lets up some.....But mine have always gone back to normal after the first 2 or 3 periods after having each of my kids.
    ErinaM

Answer by ErinaM at 6:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• miscarrage and not knowing u was pregnant?
    Anonymous

• lol no I wasn't prego
    jocelynvlong

Answer by jocelynvlong at 12:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2008