Early amniocentesis?

I became pregnant as a result of sexual assault. They recently caught the guy and a lawyer told me that they will probably need to do an amnio for DNA purposes and that it would help with determing any possible issues. I am almost 5 weeks pregnant. I was wondering how early they can do one and what was your experience having one?

SkylaDarling

Asked by SkylaDarling at 5:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Early amniocentesis (done between 11 and 14 weeks after the last menstrual period) is no longer recommended because it poses a higher risk of miscarriage and other complications than second-trimester amniocentesis which is done between 15-20 weeks with much less risk of miscarriage.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 6:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Safest between 15-20 weeks. I had it done at 18 weeks.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I had an amniocentesis done when I was 18 weeks, & I consented because my baby's alphaprotein was extremely high & my high risk doctor recommended it. I was petrified & it is a scary experience, so have lots of support and try to be calm as you possibly can,
    bajandoll74

Answer by bajandoll74 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I personally would NEVER consent to an amino, as the miscarriage rates are too high in my opinion.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010