What do you think of this opinion??

This Pulitzer prize columnist Leonard Pitts always makes me think, tell me what you think?......

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/09/1865465/technology-has-unleashed-ugliness.html

Asked by older at 5:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • This part put it perfectly:

It is as if we have forgotten or never knew: people are not objects. They have feelings. They have intrinsic dignity and worth. And each of us is bound to respect that. There are things you just don't do to other people, and the fact that technology makes those things easy to do doesn't make that any less true.

AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 4:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• In a Facebook, iPad, automated teller, self-serve, smartphone, e-mail, voice recognition kind of world, it is increasingly possible to make it through an entire day without the bother of having to interact with other human beings. Maybe as a result, we are forgetting how.--
    that's just what a lady in my class this morning said. we don't have to 'deal with' facial expressions to tell us our words hurt or help, no body language to read when we speak what we want. through technology, we've been able to build a wall, of sorts, around us..only it doesn't keep people out, it keeps us IN.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I don't really think that has that much of a bearing on it. Yes, it did get the video out to more people but I don't think the fact that thousands of strangers knew this guy was gay was what made him kill himself. I think the hurt came with the knowledge of people closer to him, family, friends, acquaintances and neighbors and that could have easily been done word of mouth in all of those circumstances. If you are unstable enough to think of committing suicide just about anything can send you over the edge.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I agree with it somewhat, even though there are many benefits to technology as well. What could possess these people to do that is beyond me. I think they should be locked up forever,
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• When a person is reduced to a name, an avatar and black letters on a white screen that we can just shut down when we want it's easier for some to forget the damage words may cause than if it was a face to face conversation where the pain and hurt are immediately evident.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• itsme, you didn't read the whole article did you?

what is new is the cruelty, this willingness to casually destroy someone else with a few clicks of a mouse.

In a Facebook, iPad, automated teller, self-serve, smartphone, e-mail, voice recognition kind of world, it is increasingly possible to make it through an entire day without the bother of having to interact with other human beings. Maybe as a result, we are forgetting how.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/09/1865465/technology-has-unleashed-ugliness.html#ixzz11zrnWnac

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/09/1865465/technology

Comment by older (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• dulls, your statement is the point of the whole article and it is so true!

Comment by older (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Exactly. There is an absence of compassion and absence of empathy. It seems so easy for some to hurt a faceless person online.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010