If you are newly single how long should you wait to date?

pinkdragon36

Asked by pinkdragon36 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I am newly single and am getting tired of people telling me, to focus on my kids and not to worry about dating. My kids will ALWAYS be my primary focus, but I've put myself on the backburner for too long already. Date when YOU are emotionally over your previous relationship and when YOU feel that YOU are ready for another. I wouldn't bring home every guy you meet to your kids, but there's nothing wrong with meeting someone new.

I will wait until my divorce is final, but that is a personal choice. I'm over my current, recently ended marriage and when my divorce is final, I do plan to date.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Wait until you're pretty much over it. Then don't date seriously for a while.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I waited a year before I started dating. I needed to know I could be with just me, before I even tried to be with someone else
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i think you need to wait until YOU"RE ready. It may not be a wait at all, it may take a while. Only you will know when you're ready, there is no time frame.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• pink~~when you feel you are ready is the best plan ever...if you are ready today go for it but if not wait...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 6:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I say date whenever you like, have fun, don't get serious. If kids are small, do not introduce them until you have a ring on your finger.
    Anonymous

• I agree its when ever you think you're ready. But if you have kids that are young don't introduce them untill you are serious with that person.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Anon are you feeling a bit cheeky today LOL :]
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 6:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't rush into another relationship until you are completely over your past relationship.
    caringjudy

Answer by caringjudy at 7:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Depends on the individual person and when they are emotionally ready to do so. I was already emotionally and physically removed from my STBX for a very long time and now that we're nearing the end of our divorce I am ready. I am not bringing anyone around my child though and I am trying to be cautious.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 7:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010