my 15 month old started hitting and bitting, what can i do to help him understand thats its not ok

koandme09

Asked by koandme09 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am running through that same problem with my two year old lol. I like to tell her that it is not okay and if she keeps going I normally either swat her on the bottom a few times(spanking in other terms lol) or put her in time out. She doesn't like either.
    mama408

Answer by mama408 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• see i dont want to tell him not o hit, then hit him back. ( spakinking) i want a different way
    koandme09

Comment by koandme09 (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You can try time out as I mentioned, or tell him how disappointed you are that he thinks hitting people is the thing to do
    mama408

Answer by mama408 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i had the same issue with hitting. i did time outs and firm no's with redirection. it worked pretty well and he eventually grew out of it. just be very consistant with which ever way you decide.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 7:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I use positive reinforcement with my twins that just turned 15 months. When they start to raise a hand to hit or look like they are going to bite, I say "no" loud and firm. When they stop I smile, give a hug and say "good girl" I have found that this works really well. It decreases incidents and also they respond better to my "no's".They aren't perfect because at this age they can't communicate well and get frustrated. They are acting on feelings that they can't verbally express. I hope to lay a future foundation of them obeying me to please me "make me smile and give attention and praise". I'd rather do this than spank any day! In fact I don't think I have ever spanked them. Maybe my husband has but only a few times.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I'm having the same issues with my 16 month old. She hits/scratches and I've tried 'no', I've tried 'time out' but it's not really helpful as she doesn't fully understand the concept of time out yet. I don't feel she needs a spanking. What I've been doing (and it's been working, not a miracle but it's getting better) is when she goes to hit me, I take her hand and stroke my cheek or arm gently and tell her 'be nice, don't hurt mommy, you be nice'. She will smile and rub my arm/face. Redirecting her attention has been helpful, but it's also not a 'cure' for the slap happy toddler.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I tell my 15 month old OUCH! and show him that it hurts or a firm NO!
    burtangermom4

Answer by burtangermom4 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2010