If I haven't gotten wisdom teeth by age 23, am I going to get them at all?

I know I know, ask the dentist. I probably wont see them for a few more months. At my last dentist appt in May 09, they didnt see any signs of them.

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 6:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Health

• If they X-ray and don't see them you prolly won't get them . On my visit to the oral surgeon, (18 yrs old) they didn't see the top ones and I never got them. You may not.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 10:07 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• With xrays they will probably show up. My wisdom teeth never broke thru my gums. I had to have them surgically removed when they started to interfere with my sinus cavities. Mine were not directed down like the rest of my teeth but were set sideways.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Have they taken xrays or taken a pan? If not it might be a good idea to ask about it- as the xrays would be able to show if you have the teeth and how they are situated in your mouth. If they have taken the xrays and did not see anything then you may be one of the lucky few who are missing them. It does happen, I am missing all 4 of my wisdom teeth and my 2 lower central incisors - it is genetic as my dad is missing the same 2 lower centrals as well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I'm 27 and have a wisdom tooth pushing through now. So you may. It depends on the individual. NORMALLY they come through between 16 and 23 but not always.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 2:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• A lot depends upon weather or not your wisdom teeth are a problem. Mine gave me headaches, caused lots of pain, and because my mouth is small, caused unnecessary overcrowding. So when I finally had the money and insurance to help pay for them, I got all 4 removed. That was June of last year, and I was almost 28.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010