how do u get a fever to go down w/o meds?

my 7month old DD has a slight cold with a fever of 100. she is drinking 4 oz of liquid every hour we are doing bm or pedialight (sp) or apple juice. i ep so i dont have alot of extra bm :-( i wish i did! and im patting her down with a cold cloth. i would rather not do meds unless it gets to high. Thanks!

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 6:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a cool cloth and light cothing/bedding. cool drinks. a cool bath will also help
    nanny29

Answer by nanny29 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Warm bath.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• put her in nothing but a diaper and onesie, keep wiping her down with a lukewarm cloth.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 6:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I don't think you need to give her that much liquid. Just feed (nurse/bottle) when she is hungry. If she seems thirsty offer some water or pedialite. Too much juice will only give her empty calories and possibly upset her stomach.

100 is not very high. Just dress her lightly and keep an eye on her. I usually don't medicate unless my child hits 102.5, is very uncomfortable or asks for some relief (they are old enough) with the exception of my fever trigger epileptic.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• tepid bath always helps.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 7:26 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• 100 is not very high, but I agree with the other posts and that light clothing, a bath, and keeping an eye on her are always good routes to go to lower a temperature.
    serenitystarr

Answer by serenitystarr at 7:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• strip her down to her diaper. Youre doing everything right. ( I would ditch the apple juice though, even the pedialite website says not to use other liquids w/ it) As much BM as you can afford to give her.
    100 is really not bad at all. A fever just means that her immune system is doing it's job and fighting something. Best to let it work.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• a trick my MIL taught me was to rub a cool cloth on her feet!! I didnt believe that it works but i tried it one day and it did come down I was really surprized!!!
    MommyofHDPnPCP

Answer by MommyofHDPnPCP at 9:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2010