Can I bottle feed most of the time and breastfeed when i need to?

I want to mostly bottle feed my daughter but I also want to breastfeed for the closeness and release of the breastmilk. I want to know if it will be ok she seems to be ok with nipple confuision expecially when she's really hungry or if she wakes up and only wants a little food and to fall back asleep. Just making sure there's no harm in that.

army_mommy15

Asked by army_mommy15 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter was on both too. just my milk dried up fast. the best idea might be for u to pump milk and bottle feed her that just to keep your milk coming and when u feel you can still breast feed.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 6:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I totally agree with the previous poster. I did the same with my son and he didn't have nipple confusion....I worried about that too. The only thing is my milk dried out fast.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 6:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• When I went back to work when my 2nd was 2mo I couldnt pump at work. I wanted to continue to breastfeed b/c I wanted the closeness and it was good for him. So he got formula during the day and I breastfead at night. It was really nice b/c I hated fumbling for bottles in the middle of the night.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 7:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Just keep in mind that 1) breastfeeding is about supply and demand, the more you bottlefeed the less breastmilk will be demanded from you so therefore the less you will make, this is what leads to moms drying up quickly 2) your body detects when baby has been exposed to germs and creates antibodies to those germs, the more she is at the breast the more your body can work in this way and give her what she needs. :) Why not mostly breastfeed and bottlefeed for relief and a break? ;)

try kellymom.com she has great advice on this too.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 7:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I've been breast & bottle feeding for over 7 months. I pump at work. I had stored up about 3 months worth of extra milk and although my supply has slowly gone down, I still have about 3 weeks or more of milk stored up. I'll probably need to switch to formula & breast milk in about a month...but I surely can't complain!
    AndreaOkeefe

Answer by AndreaOkeefe at 8:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Its best to do it the other way around, breastfeed and bottlefeed when you need to, otherwise when you "need" to breastfeed you may not have enough milk. Its supply and demand, if you aren't nursing for the demand then theres no need for your body to make the supply, therefor you dry up. Heres info on it
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2008