My 2.5 year old son is giving up his naps! Advice needed!

I have had to do some really important things during the week here and there for the last couple of weeks and that prevented us from being at home during nap time. I was trying to get him to nap in the car but it didn't happen. The last few days I have been putting him in his room for nap time and I can hear him up there playing, etc the ENTIRE time. I am worried he will never nap again. But then once nap time is over I get him out and we leave to do something and he falls alseep. Can't win. Any advice? Is this the normal age for giving up naps? He is NASTY now that he isn't napping. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did that too, but he still has quiet time every afternoon while my youngest is asleep. I put him in his room and turn on a movie and let him play, sometimes he falls asleep sometimes he doesn't. Keep going on that stick him in his room at nap time and let him know its quiet time , eventually he will get the point and if he's tired go to sleep. It took my son a few tries to get it but he has no problem with it now. it is most likely a stage and he will snap out of it in time.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Try the quiet time idea. My two gave up their naps at age 2.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My DS went through 2 weeks of that. i was persisitant and consistent on trying to put him don much to my dismay. Then FINALLY he started to nap again!! My good friend gave me this advice to keep trying and trying because chances are they WILL nap again. Her 4 yo STILL naps! I think too many times parents give up trying to quickly when they could have kept pushing a few more days. My DS NEEDS a nap or else he is a TOTAL disater and fast aslpee by 5PM for the night!! So keep trying chances are he will go back into it in a bit. GL!!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• my DD gave up her naps around that time, I still put her in her room and did the nap routine afterward for a while just so she could have some quiet time and I could have a few minutes of time to do things I needed to do. he may get back into the schedule or he may not. If he doesnt you cold try putting him to bed a little earlier at night so he is getting more sleep. I wouldnt let my dd fall asleep after a certain time during the day but if she was really tired and cranky from not having a nap i would put her to bed 1/2 hr earlier.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My almost three year old has pretty much given up naps, but I still try to have quiet time everyday. Some days he naps, some days he doesn't, so I'm not ready to quit at least trying to get him to, until he shows me he's completely done with them.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My 4 year old gave up naps before 2 years. :(
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My 2.5 year old has been kinda going in and out of napping lately . . but he still has "quiet time" in his room. and I can tell by how quickly he falls asleep at night if he did fall asleep or not!!
    Mine will not fall asleep after though . . so I dunno there, maybe try a later nap time? Or just put him to bed a little earlier
    Huntersmom209

Answer by Huntersmom209 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• huntersmom, what time does he get up in the AM and what time do yo put him down for a nap?
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010