Life expectancy of a cat.

What is the life expectancy of a cat. My family have a male cat, who stays indoors. My 9 year old (autism) adores him and I was wondering just how long he'll have him. Sorry if it seems morbid, but he talks to this cat like he's human (better than he does with humans lol). And this crossed my mind.

Austinsmom35

Asked by Austinsmom35 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Pets

• Between 10 and 25 years, depending on the breed and the animal's lifestyle.

Cats that have unlimited access to the inside of a building (cats that can get in and out) live longer than cats that have to be let in and out (because it's safer to run into a building than just running away)... indoor cats may statistically live longer than indoor-outdoor cats, but that has as much to do with adding feral cats to the stats as anything else.

Calicos, in my experience, live a very long time. Pure breeds, like Siamese may have shortened lifespans because they're bred for what they look like, not how long they live or how few genetic problems they have.

It is probably a good idea to get a new cat every 5 or 8 years, if your son is super-attached --getting new cats before the old one dies makes the transition to different personalities easier.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Cats can live a good long time. At LEAST 15 years...but its not unheard of for a cat to reach 20.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My Siamese cat lived to be 18 almost 19.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Well, not sure what the average is, but my parents had 2 indoor cats that just died in the year or so and they lived to be 19. That is actually a pretty long time, but they were taken very well care of including vet visits and check ups yearly.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• About 20 years. Of course, if the cat is allowed to go out in a high traffic area or somewhere coyotes are present they could get killed before that. The problem with indoor cats is that they are more likely to develop diabetes due to lack of exercise and if they escape they have no street smarts so they often get killed, especially if they've been de-clawed.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• OH to add, they were both Siamese:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My Grandmother had a cat who lived somewhere around 20-25 years, my calico lived to be 16, and my fat tabby was 14 when he passed.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We've had cats that have lived from 8 (1 was diabetic and 1 had congestive heart failure) - 18. It really depends on so many factors just like with humans - genetics, overall health, nutrition and living conditions.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• An indoor cat with no health problems could probably live 18 to 20 years, or maybe even longer. My oldest cat is 15; he is part Siamese. My mom had an indoor/outdoor Siamese that lived to age 18.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My mom has always had lots of cats. I think hers live an average of 13 years. They are all (or almost all) indoor/outdoor cats, overweight, they eat cheap canned catfood, and they rarely see the vet for shots and checkups, they have mostly died of getting old and having diseases, kidney and liver failure and stuff like that. My cats cats are also indoor/outdoor cats, but they eat more expensive dry catfood, are thin, and see the vet somewhat regularly. I'm curious if it will make a difference in their lifespan.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010