Does anyone elses husband do this with the baby?

I am a SAHM for my two year old and newborn. When I am home with them I am making breakfast, lunch, cleaning, etc. while holding/nursing the newborn (pretty much everything with one hand). But when he is home in the evenings and weekends it's "can you take her I need to make dinner or I need to do this and do that." I just can't stand it b/c I do what I do alone and he always relies on me. Why can't he do what I do? Especially since I am sick right now and can't get any rest b/c he is constantly asking for my help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Men CANNOT multi task. He probably really can't make supper and hold the baby at once. I was in the hospital for three days and he barely held on.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 7:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I like to think that MOM means "Masters Of Multitasking" as moms seem to be able to 'do it all' (usually all at once) while dads tend to focus on 1 thing at a time. But yes, that does sound familiar. My hubby was like that sometimes too. Once he was holding baby #1 in the living room and he needed a pacifier and he expected me to go and get one and bring it to him as he was 'holding baby' so somehow holding the baby caused his legs not to work. I had a talk with him and told him that he can hold baby AND move around at the same time as I had no one to 'help' me during the day and I still managed to tend baby and get things done. I also suggested that he could put baby in his swing, or in the baby seat for a few minutes if he really needed to get something done (like make dinner). Maybe your husband could do that instead of constantly asking for you to step in and help. Good luck- I hope you get some rest!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Try putting the baby down in a bouncer, one of the ones that reclines. I had one of those when both of my kids were babies and it was a life saver !
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Like others said, give him some time. It is harder for them to multi-task. PLUS you are doing it all day long, he only gets to 'practice' on the weekends. By the time our 3rd came my hubby was able to sit and eat his dinner while holding a fussy baby!! I loved it. Before I was always the one that had to hold the baby during meal time, if he was fussy.

That's great that hubby is helping with other things around the house!! I would suggest you figure out what you want more at any given time - him to take the baby or help with chores, then let him do just one of those things. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My husband was always very helpful. He is one of those rare fathers who was very hands on. I love him for that! He would even get up with me through the night and keep me awake while I nursed. We had a system: He changed diaper while I got my boppy pillow and ready to nurse.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I laughed when I read Tanya marieh reponse, because that is exactly what I was thinking. Men CANNOT multi task. My husband can do alot of things and alot of things well, but he can only do one at a time.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I have a rare one too Mom2Just1!!!!!! My Hubby is awesome!!! He cooks he cleans changs diapers and everything!!! He sometimes lets me sleep in on his days off!!!!!
    MommyofHDPnPCP

Answer by MommyofHDPnPCP at 9:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Lady don't want to be mean but I made the same mistake as you are doing the babys get used to your arms and after they get used to they will not stay in the crib or swing they will want to be carried around and yes my husband does that all the guy do that
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2010