did your eczema clear up, get worse, or stay the same when you were pregnant?

I never had a skin condition until after my dd was about 8 months old and I now have terriblly persistant eczema on my breasts. DH and I want another child, but so far the only things that have cleared it up are steroids or herbal teas, neither of which I'm really comfortable using during pregnancy. I've heard low dose steroids are fairly safe "in moderation"-- but my symptoms return if I stop for even a few days. My SIL said her eczema cleared up when she was pregnant, but according to "what to expect..." it sounds like most womens gets worse.....

If you had eczema before you were pregnant, did it get worse, better or stay the same? If it stayed or got worse, how did you deal with it, and do you feel it affected your baby?

earthmama727

Asked by earthmama727 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It got better because I'm working closely with my dermatologist & thankfully it hasn't affected my little one
    bajandoll74

Answer by bajandoll74 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I usualy only had a problem in the winter but when I was pregnant with my daughter it got real bad in the summer months which def wasn't normal for me.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 7:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• bajandoll--
    Are you using a low dose steroid, or just some type of moisturizer? They've tried to get me to use Protopic, but I'm really not comfortable with the possible side effects of that one... So far they had me using triamcinolone but I've jsut realized that the over the counter cortisone seems to help... I'm just afraid owhether or not I can use it while pregnant or breast feeding (it also happens to be directly on my nipples-- I think it was a rare side effect of breastfeeding) Any advice?
    earthmama727

Comment by earthmama727 (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2010