Are the BEST people already working? Is discriminating against the unemployed wise?

The number of Americans who have been out of a job for a year or longer has reached a record 4.4 million, roughly equal to the population of Louisiana, according to the latest Bureau of Labor Statistics report. The grim numbers may partially be attributed to the fact that employers are still openly discriminating against the unemployed--especially the longterm unemployed-- when deciding who to hire.

A surprising number of Craigslist job ads are automatically disqualifying the long-term jobless by including the stipulations, "Must be currently employed," "No unemployed candidates will be considered," or "must have been employed within the last 6 months." Other job postings specify that if an applicant is recently unemployed, he or she should include a "good reason" for his or her layoff along with a resumé.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:14 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Holy cow...."Catch 22".
    But who goes to Craigs List? That's the last place I would go. Ugh.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It's similar to a college graduate trying to get a job. No experience therefor can't get a job but how are you suppose to get a job with no experience...uug!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• As unsavory as Craigslist is, it's one of the premier sites to find jobs. This trend is disturbing at best.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• But who goes to Craigs List? That's the last place I would go. Ugh

why?

Many SCAMS!
    My sixth grader could play "spot the scam" and win.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I read an article about this a few months ago. Employers still go by the old philosophy that if you are unemployed, then you must have been fired for doing something wrong, or you are not the kind of person able to hold down a job. They used to weed out people that way all the time. To have that way of thinking still in this economy is ridiculous though. People are unemployed for a variety of reasons, and most are not because they got fired for doing something wrong on the job, it's silly for employers to hold on to old hiring philosophies. I can see trying to limit the number of applicants by stating that only those with X experience apply, but the rest is just dumb.

Funny thing though, I got one of my two part-time jobs off of craigslist. Though I only apply to places that I can access a their website and apply from there. I did research on them before applying. It's a great job for now at least.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Of course not! Try getting an employer to believe that though. They seem to think, if you have been out of a job to long, then you either have been lazy or you had some kind of major trouble and are not to be trusted. It's rediculous. And try getting a decent job without a college degree. Impossible.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Many SCAMS!
    _________________
    True, there are a lot. But they are avoidable.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• it is kind of unfair to people without jobs but at the same time I can see where they are coming from. They probably would prefer someone they know is responsible and is going to show up and do the job. Someone who hasn't worked in a while might send a flag to some employers vs. someone who is working or just left their job. I don't really agree with it but I can understand where they are coming from.

If i was running a business I would want someone who I know is going to work and not take my chances over and over with others.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:14 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• What in the world! That really is crazy. There are a lot of good people that are unemployed. And hey, don't dog craigslist...I work for a small business and we can't afford hundreds of dollars in ads to hire someone. How else do you solicit applications?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

why?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2010