why is my newborn doing this?

she will only last with my husband for 10 min while she is awake and then starts screaming. he doesn't seem to know what he likes or maybe she just can't be pleased by him. i can't stand hearing her get so worked up and upset so i ask for her back. i am sure i am doing more harm than good since he wont learn.but the reason i do this is b/c he eventually will come back to me anyway saying she is hungry and i have to work that much harder to wind her back down when i could have taken her when she was just semi upset. it seems she will lay in my arms quiet (most of the time) but not in his. she comes right back to me and stops crying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She knows moms scent and you have the food. It will ease up and she will hang with him, but, at first..their instinct is to hang on mom and stick to her like glue. Survival instincts.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It's possible that she senses your DH's unease, & that it's causing her to become uncomfortable. Have you tried holding her while he comes over & talks to her, & then you stay near while he holds her? That might help. Also, as the PP said, it's possible that she is simply more attached to you because she knows where her food comes from.
    xv35ballx

Answer by xv35ballx at 8:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It is possible that she senses anxiety from both of you when your dh holds her. Maybe if you both sit real close to each other when he holds her and try to relax, It may take a while, but just keep trying.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• First you are NOT doing harm by taking her when she is upset. Nature has the infants wired to want mom since she has the food (if left to nature only mom can breastfeed so only mom has food) and they need food to survive. Now if you get to about 9 months or so and she still screams for him then you may want to press the issue a little more. She likely also senses his and your anxiety and that does not help. Most men do much better as they get older and a little more independent.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You arent hurting anything at all. They'll get used to each other. You are all that she's known for her entire exsistance. They will get it; it wont take long at all. She'll get to know his scent and before you know it she'll be falling asleep on his chest even faster than she does with you. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Don't worry my daughter is the same way she is 7.5 months old and has been doing that since she was 1 month why? don't know I think is my husband's fault he would never play with her he hardly carried her when she was born.
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2010