I was just diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and i am scared

So i have really terrible mood swings when i am "down" I am REALLY down (like can't get out of bed down) and when i am up its REALLY up and i tend to make really irresponsible decisions especially with money. I screwed up our finances REALLY bad and lied to DH about it for months and months. He found out recenetly and freaked out. He left and stayed a night at his moms....he came home and we talked and he is willing to work on our marriage as long as i went to therepy which i did for the first time this week where i was diagnosed with bi polar disoreder and put on meds. I was reading online things about bi polar and it does sound like me. I am nervous about the meds. I am nervous no matter what i do DH will eventually leave anyway. I just need some support and advice. How can i get better?

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Health

• You have already started. The first step is now you know you have a problem. Good for you, you are going to get better real soon. Just keep your head up high. I wish you all the love and support. If you need to talk I am here for you. "HUGS"
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You've already started which is great. working on developing skills to manage your mood swings as well is great, as well as spotting the signs of a mood swing coming on.

I was diagnosed with bipolar 6 yrs ago and no meds really helped me(THEY HELP MANY MANY PEOPLE SO TAKE THEM) and I was able to eventually get into a DBT (Dialectical behavioral therapy) program that did wonders for me.

I would also suggest haivng some couples therapy sessions to help with communication and understanding.

Also you may have to give up you financial responsibilities temporarily if you don't think you can successful and responsibly manage them right now.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Continue with your therapy, and keep taking your meds....you will feel so much better very soon. Your husband wants to work on your marriage, so you work on you, and it will get better.....I know this is scary, but you are doing very positive things for yourself......take care, and God bless you!
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• PLEASE DONT BE SCARED! I AM BI-POLAR TOO. I AM ALSO A NURSE SO I KNOW WHAT YOUR GOING THRU. I WAS DIAGNOSED 14 MONTHS AGO. I ALWAYS KNEW WHEN I WASNT FEELING RIGHT, BUT BI-POLAR WASNT WHAT I THOUGHT. I ALSO HAVE OCD (OBSESSIVE/COMPULSIVE DISORDER). TAKE YOUR MEDS EXACTLY AS PRESCRIBED. IT MAY TAKE SEVERAL MEDICATION CHANGES AND ADJUSTMENTS BEFORE YOUR MOOD STABILIZES AND YOU FEEL BETTER. HANG IN THERE!
    Rosemirrors

Answer by Rosemirrors at 10:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• it will get better with time i have bipolar disorder i dont medicate myself but use soothing techniques and you need to avoid "triggers" {things that get you in a bad mood} once u get in a rut its very hard to get out
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It sounds like your DH was just upset and probably scared for you. I don't think he'll leave. He just wanted to get you to get help. And don't be scared. Several people in my family have bi-polar and they manage just fine on their meds, just like any other disorder. You'll be fine and in a few months you'll feel like a new person. :)
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 2:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2010