To breast pump or not to breast pump?

Im planning on breast feeding and am a stay at home mom, how important is it that I get a breast pump? Just concerned about the added expence. I was told if Im going to breast pump go electronic not manual but the prices are steep. Is it really worth it or should I save my money for something more pratical like diapers instead?

SunshineSandie

Asked by SunshineSandie at 7:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are a SAHM put baby to breast there is no better pump...and no additional cost..... plus you'll have to most success
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• The manual one worked better for me. I was a stay at home mom and like another mom said baby to breast is the best kind of pump lol but if you are like me and produce more milk then baby wants to eat or needs to eat then you need to pump it is a good idea breasts arent as sore and easier to feed baby when it is time to nurse.
    I had a electronic given to me and it was nice but if you are engorged then it can hurt the manual ones can be better just cause it coves better then the elictronic ones. The manual one I had was nice and didnt hurt either
    Hope that helps
    angel7690

Answer by angel7690 at 1:32 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I personally despise pumping, but this comes from someone who had to pump for my oldest two, the first has Down Syndrome and issues with breastfeeding the first month, and the second had a 2 week NICU stay where you was being fed by tube, now with my third I haven't pumped once and he's 7 months old. It is better for your supply to just feed from the breast, but if you think you might want/need to leave baby at some point for a short period and want to have some milk available just in case, you could get a manual pump and express a little here and there to store and it wouldn't be incredibly expensive.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• A pump is only needed if you plan on a seperation from baby. For someone returning to work, an electric is ideal. For a SAHM, only pumping for an occasional night out or dr appt without baby, things like that, a manual or hand expression is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I was a WAHM with my oldest child and never owned any pump at all. If I needed to be away from him for any length of time I just hand expressed some milk. I would recommend you get a small hand pump for now unless you plan on returning to work. Yes the electric pumps are much more efficient and often get a lot more milk, but if you are not going to be away from the baby routinely then you don't need this. I would not start pumping until the child were at least 4 weeks old any way to establish a good latch and not have nipple preference and not mess with your supply too much and cause over supply.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• If you dont plan on leaving baby alone there is no need for one. You may want to get one, so you can have a freezer stash in case of emergencies or dates. But a manual should do you just fine in that situation. No need to get more pump than you need.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I'm a SAHM. I have a cheap manual pump, just in case. I've used it a handful of times, mostly to get some BM to put on rash my daughter had.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You only need to pump if you are going to be away from your baby. If you are going to be staying home full time, chances are you won't need a pump at all. If you want to pump once in a while, a few times a week or less when baby is a bit older and you want to go see a movie or something, then a manual pump is just fine!
    A double electric pump is a must if you are a full time working mom, but you are not going to need one!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i would say get an electric pmp. if cost is an issue you could always rent. i bought mine three years ago and is has carried me through two kids so well worth it. it has come in handy to keep my milk up when she skips aeeding or helps me not feel so full and does a good job emptying me if she doesn't do a good job (helps limit breast infections). i would be lost without it!
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 7:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i had to buy one, but thats cuz i had difficulty bf so i decided to exclusively pump for 11mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2010