Are we too young to buy a house ?

My husband and I are 26 & 27 years old. He has a great job and makes great money. We have been married for over 7 years and have 3 children. I think we are fortunate enough to be able to buy a home WITHIN OUR MEANS but we have family members that are telling us that they feel we are rushing into this. We have been cramped in a rental house under 1000 s.f. for over 2 years. I love to plant flowers and paint and decorate but I can't do that here because anything I do is fixing it up for someone else. Are we too young to be wanting to buy a home for ourselves ?

TexasStyle

Asked by TexasStyle at 6:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Just for Fun

• As a REALTOR I would have to say that you are a PRIME candidate for purchasing a home! You seem to have your finances in order and as long as you are purchasing within your means there is definitely no reason why you shouldn't be in a home that's yours! You should be paying your mortgage not someone else's which is what you are doing while you are renting! They recommend that your house payment (including taxes and insurance) be no more than 33%of your monthly income... GOOD LUCK ON PURCHASING YOUR FIRST HOME!!! Enjoy the tax write off too! :}
    toddsruby

Answer by toddsruby at 11:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• i dont think you are me im 22 and SO is 25 we have a baby on the wt and we r in dec ,,, found a nice one in the moutains in utah ....
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I'm 22 i bought my house at 20
    Anonymous

• Ha! I'm 22 my husband is 23 and we just bought our first house on 120 acres of land for only $250,000.00. We got a VA loan because my husband is a veteran.

You're NEVER too young to invest in your future! If it takes you 20 years to pay off a loan you'll only be 46 and you'll COMPLETELY own your own place! Mortgage free! How couls THAT be bad?

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Could*

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I don't think you are too young at all. I think it is all about if you are responsible enough and you sound like you are ready.
    kayleighsmom110

Answer by kayleighsmom110 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• The sooner you buy a house the better. You most likely won't be living in it forever anyway, but you can have a sizeable hunk of equity in it when you decide to sell or if you need to borrow money on it for a medical emergency or something. If you get a fixed rate mortgage the payments will stay the same while the price of renting will continue to rise year after year, and when you rent, you are paying about as much as a house payment anyway, but it's only buying a house for somebody else. You will be much better off pouring all that money into something that will be YOURS.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• If you retire at 55 you'll have ten years to put all of the money that you are saving from not paying mortgage into your retirement fund. At only $1,000.00/month for ten years that is $120,000.00 extra in your retirement fund!

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Absolutely not! It's a great investment. You aren't starting out in life, your established. Your family is growing, you need more room. This is something only you and your husband can decide. I understand your point of view comploetely. Good luck!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• WOW. I never thought of it that way. All I was thinking was Let's get out of this tiny box we live in so we can have some room to roam !! We are concerned for our financial future and are tired of making other people richer.
    TexasStyle

Answer by TexasStyle at 7:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2008