How to avoid the infamous COLIC?

Im a new mommy and am planning on breast feeding but Im worried about colic. I heard rumors about my diet affecting my baby with colic. Is this true and if so what is the secret diet to avoiding colic?

SunshineSandie

Asked by SunshineSandie at 8:14 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, here's my 2 cents. Colic is BS doctor speak for "we dont know what's wrong." Typical causes for a crying baby? Upset stomach. Yes try eliminating some of the obvious things from your diet first. (dairy, spicy foods, etc) Does baby seem unusually gassey or spit up a lot?
    Second line of defense in my opinion is to see a chiropractor. Find one that is recomended by a friend and treats infants. Made all the difference in the world with my LO.
    Final word of advice. Babies who are allowed to nurse on demand rarely cry. Get a sling and keep nursing. Keep baby on the breast as often as possible. It's not just nutrition; it's also comfort. Constant nursing is also great for supply.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I don't think you can prevent colic..they either get it or not.

Your diet COULD affect your baby as far as gassiness if they are sensitive. If it turns out your LO is gassy, you can start eliminating foods you know to cause gas.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Diet while nursing: eat as you like. IF you notice that baby reacts to something THEN you eliminate it. Pretty simple. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Colic is defined as inconsolable crying with an unknown cause-- which generally happens at the same time every day and runs its course in 6-8 weeks IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR GUT-- when they reference your stomach and gas it is because when you cry you swallow air instead of inhale it -- which can make the situation worse but Colic itself has nothing to do with anything-- inconsolable crying no cause
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Your diet does not cause or stop colic. Your diet and nursing can however affect the baby's gassiness and tempermant.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• No, Colic is extreme gas and intestinal spasms becaue of an immature digestive system. My daughter had colic for about the first two months of her lfe.. Gas and distended abdomen. Crying in the evening. If she was able to lie on my chest and if I rubbed her back,she would relax some but the crying occurred every late afternoon and evening. The Pediatrician explained it to me.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2010