How do I make my 6 yr old from keeping stuff out his mouth?

mysticbluemisty

Asked by mysticbluemisty at 8:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give him gum, it gives him something clean to have in there.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• At that age they sincerely don't believe in germs- something they can't see. If you really want to get him to keep things out of his mouth, get a strong magnifying glass, the one I have is pen-shaped and you put one end over the item and look through the other end, and show him what is on a dead bug, for example. If he understands about things too small to be seen by naked eye, especially things like pin worms, it might encourage him to keep things out of his mouth.

Answer by Bmat at 8:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• UGH!! if you figure it out tell me. I have a 3 year old who does the same thing.
    I gave her a pacifier and told her that was the only thing she was allowed to put in her mouth and most of the time it works - she chews it and she's happy!
    It's some kind of oral fixation apparently we never grow out of it. I still chew my nails. My sisters still chews on pencils and pens.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• @Bmat, love your answer. But that would encourage my 3 year old daughter. She LOVES bugs, but she won't eat meat! LOLOL
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• keep tellin him not too and reward him when he doesnt do it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:03 AM on Oct. 12, 2010