how do i know if i am in labor?

i know im only 38 weeks but for just incase how would i know if im in labor? is realy bad period pain a contraction? i didnt feel anything for my first son, and iv been getting some realy bad period pain lately but its not in a pattern or nothing. is there another way of knowing your in labor other than having contractings in a patern or your water breaking? btw i didnt feel contractions for my first son and i was in labor.

TeenMom17-Mszy

Asked by TeenMom17-Mszy at 7:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i answered this .. dunno why you deleted it then reposted i dotn think many are online right now but like i said that pain was my only indcator beisdes water breaking idk everytime is diff and you may feel them this time id pay attention to back pains too
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• i reposted the same question cause i closed it by mistake. :) i wanted more ppl to be able to answer.
    TeenMom17-Mszy

Answer by TeenMom17-Mszy at 7:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Have you lost your mucus plug? As far as knowing if it is a contraction or not, touch your stomach as you are having the bad cramp feeling and if it is hardening and tightening while having the pain it's a contraction. If you are unsure if it's the real deal or not, just run into the hospital and have them check you, better safe than sorry.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 7:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• A lot of people go into labor at "only 38 weeks", it really could be anytime considering you are full term. Just watch for your contractions to get a few mins apart, you start to have back pain sometimes but other women don't notice labor until their water breaks. Have your hospital bag in the car, any day now!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I had back labor... but contractions are about 10xs as bad as your worst period cramps... or so i am told. if you begin to have this sensation get in the shower. if they go away, they arent real, you can also lay on your left side, if they go away.. not contractions. You will know what they are.... I didnt have any contractions or baxton hicks until the night before i had my son... If you have any questions, dont hesitate to call your dr. GL
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• oh ok lol ive done that lol ....
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• When I went into labor with my son I woke up at about 1 am with major pains like I had to go to the bathroom...Two hours later, when I wasn't successful in the bathroom, it dawned on me that I was in labor. lol I felt like such a nerd.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Oh yeah, I forgot to add that my son was born at exactly 38 weeks.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2008