how can i break my dog of this?

i adopted my standard poodle from a poodle rescue last year and he is 5 years old. he was very good at first and then i guess he got a lil too comfy. his bad habits are starting to arise and one of the most dangerous habits is his door darting. we tell him to stay and when the door is open a crack he barges in and will knock anyone down or take your knees out. my husband was holding our tiny toy poodle and almost feel with her. we have a newborn baby now so this is unexceptable. he also will do this on the stairs. just knock anyone down as he gallaps by or through door ways. Another dangerous habit that has surface is he will run back and forth along the fence barking at our neighbor's dog. they both are running 100 mph and he will knock you down then too. i try to call out to him but it's like he is in the zone and can't hear me. any advice? i may hire a trainer but they are so costly!

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 8:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Pets

• Dog whisperer would have you put him on a leash for a while. If you watch for a few episodes, you will see those bad habits.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• yes I would shop around for quotes I would hate that your holding your baby and fall for now I would stay on the look out as your dog comes charging just make sure he is not darting to the street all your dog is wanting to get there to where ever he is in a hurry to be...lol
    GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Well, if you know you are going out the door you need to prepare ahead of time. Put him on the leash before you open the door, and before he knows you are opening the door. Start now before your kids can go in and out of the house. Start putting him on a leash and opening and closing the door with him there, not allowing him to go out the door. Do this every day.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Go get a six foot leash. Clip one end to him and tie the other end around you. When someone comes to the door, put the dog in a sit and then tell him to stay. Open the door, if he goes to bolt, one sharp quick upward tug on the leash, followed by a stern NO. Keep him tethered to you at all times so that you can quickly correct him if he bolts for the door.

You may need to practice as the above poster mentioned. Reward him EVERYTIME he stays and doesn't move.

DO NOT, hit, kick, punch, slap, beat, or scream at the dog. It reinforces negative behaviour and makes the dog scared of you.

Also, Cesar Milan is an idiot. The ONLY reason he is popular is because Oprah Winfrey needed him to train her out of control puppy mill dogs. People use him because they buy dogs on a whim. He makes his fortunes off idiot dog owners.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Leash
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Acid already said what I was going to say. Tether him to you so that you can correct him as soon as you need to. Notice I said correct and not punish ;)
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 11:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Acid and Heather said it
    To train the dog, you have to help them succede more than fail. If they are constantly getting punished, they will lose interest in learning.
    I am still learning (currently on an externship for dog training) but, when ever you open your door, have the pup on a leash. Reward him for sitting nicely. (How ever you want.. they make wonderful small training treats or patting is good)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Acid has some good advice (and from the show picture, I would say she has the experience to back it up !!).

If you can't do it on your own, especially with the new baby, as your rescue group where you got the dog to help you (you will still have to participate - training is partly training the dog and partly training the owners) !!

Good Luck !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 5:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2010