at what age will my younger child be able to really interact with my toddler?

i have a two year old son and a 7 week old daughter. i can't wait for them to start playing together even if it's just him making her smile, coo, and laugh. what week will she start to respond to him?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 8:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 6 months my son loved sitting in his exersauser watching my older daughter. They played that way.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yeah, hehe, it starts out you can't wait for them to play with each other, then you can't wait to pry them off eachother, and end the fights by the time they are three and four. They compete a lot. Or is that just my kids! :) LOL
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• From day one my son could not get his eyes off my daughter! She would hold him and talk to him. Even though he could not respond he entertained her anyway! She is a good big sister! Now he is almost a year old and they play together almost all day!!! I can tell they are going to be very close throughout their lives!
    MommyofHDPnPCP

Answer by MommyofHDPnPCP at 8:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My older son has always tried to play with baby brother but it got really fun when he learned to crawl. And Musicmom, Mine are still little so they don't compete yet, but I am always shouting "GET OFF OF YOUR BROTHER !" haha
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My son has loved on his baby sister since the day she came home from the hospital. He would lay over her (supporting himself on his elbows), hug her, kiss her, "hold" her (sit on the couch with a pillow on his lap and baby on the pillow). He would even give her toys to "play" with. She was responding to him -- smiling, laughing, cooing, etc. -- as early as to anyone else. And his toys were the first things she went after when she started becoming mobile (he wasn't so crazy about that, lol), probably around 5 or 6 months. He still loves her, though. But I shout, "GET OFF OF YOUR SISTER!" a good bit, too, lol.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I have to add after reading these comments after mine......I do have to yell at my son (not my daughter) STOP PULLING YOUR SISTERS HAIR!!! He doesnt understand that it hurts yet!!! She dont understand that he dont understand!!!
    MommyofHDPnPCP

Answer by MommyofHDPnPCP at 9:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My oldest started talking to and trying to play with my youngest when he was about 2 months (when he started really watching his older brother move around) My oldest Alex started talking to Hayden my youngest telling him who everyone was and showing him toys. He loved it
    They are now 3 and 1, and wow man are they a hand full but it is a blast to have them close together so they can play really well. Wait till they are both running around lol
    angel7690

Answer by angel7690 at 1:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2010