wow she called my daughter a 1&5 ?

ok so everysingle sunday my family has family dinners at my moms house were we bring food& desserts and we call come together to pray & just spend quality time its nothing fancy soo anyways:while my oldest daughter Kaylashia(ka_LAY_sha)was carrying a case soda to the car i was in the house setting the alarm & when i got to the car my daughter told that the lady who just moved in next door to us told her that she looked like a 1&5.now when she first said it im like wtf is a 1&5 then iasked her why did she call you that she said :because of what she was wearing, my daughter has on (her ugg boots,some leggings and a tank top)just because were going to my moms thats all nowere fancy soo i call my husband cause i still dont know wtf is a 1&5 & he tells me a first & fifteen baby basically a welfare baby and all i can say is wow i cant believe an adult could be so rude&mean to a child that did nothing to her,thats crazy SMH*

LABELmeCUTE

Asked by LABELmeCUTE at 8:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• never heard that before, but if she meant it that way it's pretty rude!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Never heard of this before. But, don't let your daughter outside anymore by herself. The neighbor sounds off her rocker.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I never heard of it either... amazing. Yes definitely confront the woman, maybe (hopefully) she meant no harm by it and it actually meant something good? Like "Wow, you're 1 in 5 kids who would help their mom out like that"?? Just trying to find some light in the situation...
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I would never put down any child who has a parent that is getting assistance from public assistance. How low class. So now adults picking on children is somehow funny, cool, or amusing. Take heart in knowing you would never mock a child in such circumstances and you obviously have more grace and consideration than your family members. Neigher making fun of people or talking badly about people who are vulnerable and in need of assistance is exceptable. If this was my family I would make the issue not about my child but about how I really am very supportive of families in need. "Oh? Well I don't see that as a slam because all children are children regardless of their parents' income status. I suspect my child looks like all the other children. That is a good thing." And I would leave it at that. I can't control my family but I can control my responses.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i have to say what mommytobe said sounds like something another rude person would do, please don't do that kind of crap in front of your kids. you are teaching them right and wrong, and that's not right either. forget that person, they are not doing anything to make your life better.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Wow I have never heard that...but yes that is just plain rude
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Never heard that phrase before. VERY rude/condescending. People who speak like that are ignorant.

You said this person just moved in next door, right? Well, maybe you need to go over and introduce yourself to her to see how she talks to other adults. Does she have a problem with people her own age or just with teenagers?

For all we know, she is projecting her own issues on to you and your family. Often people will do this to make themselves feel better. Sad but true... Good luck, whatever you decide to do...

Oh yeah, and if your daughter had on Uggs, then she has nothing to worry about... They are some expensive shoes! :-)
    RebeccaAxeRosa

Answer by RebeccaAxeRosa at 10:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010