Any oboe players out there? I need some advice about reeds. Please let me know you exist. Thanks.

plclemo

Asked by plclemo at 9:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I played bassoon for a few years. I am experience in several types of reeded instruments single and double. Whats up?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thanks for answering so quickly. I am having trouble with mold or mildew-y smells from the reeds. How do you get them dry without cracking them? I used to play bassoon (but its been 30 years). I play clarinet (have for 40 years) and I don't have that problem with my clarinet reeds. Thank You!
    plclemo

Comment by plclemo (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• No problem. I am not playing now, but I played clarinet quite well for many years! OK, are you removing the reed from water? Or are you soaking it at all times? With my bassoon reeds I had to have them soaking at all times. You know what helps is changing the water every day.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Do you guys actually find time to play?
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 9:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I am with musicmom80. I haven't played oboe in a while. I want to buy one but haven't had the money.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 9:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I actually play with a few bands and record my own stuff for $$
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• WOW! Didn't know you played oboe! I play the flute and tried the oboe many years ago! Man!, that's one difficult instrument to play! Best wishes on finding the answer to your dilemma!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 11:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2010