How does drinking alcoholic beverages affect your baby while breastfeeding?

-if u pump after sobering up 2 empty yourself out before you feed them again, will it make a difference? or will the baby still get toxins from the drinks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 7:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Once you are sober, your milk is clean. Milk doesn't just simply build up in your breasts and sit there. The alcohol leaves your milk at the same time that it leaves the rest of your body. So there is absolutely no need to pump and dump before you feed. The only reason to pump and dump is if you miss a feeding and need to relieve engorgement.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Theres no need to pump and dump, it'll clear your milk just like it does your blood, and you didn't have to dump your blood. If you are sober enough to drive you are fine to nurse.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I've hear of this strip things that you can test your milk to see if all of the alcohol is out of your milk yet. I'm not sure what it is called but they are shown in partenting magazines a lot. I've always been told that you have to pump and dump to though
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Just be be on the safe side, I'd pump and dump no matter what any book or mag says...better safe than sorry right?
    krockwell

Answer by krockwell at 9:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2008