How can you keep children home when they turn 13 and no one will help out?

katboydie

Asked by katboydie at 9:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• "No, you can not go out today"
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• How do you NOT keep your child at home? You put your foot down as the parent. Keep the rules consistent and consequences to the actions such as emptying out the bedroom of everything but a bed, study surface, and dresser with minimum clothes.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I wish I knew, cause you can't legally keep them home. If they run they run...and the cops won't do anything.
    SoozeeWB

Answer by SoozeeWB at 9:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• if there running away n such pins petetion
    mommyny6

Answer by mommyny6 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• how can you "let" them go out???  I agree with twinplus2more, start taking things away, mine would be lucky to have a bed or mattress! .....isn't their a curfew in your town?? underage kids can not go out without an adult by law. last resort call the cops and have them picked up for curfew.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• This one time where "I would beat his little ass" is actually a good answer. LOL I dare mine to try. I would, in fact, ground him for many moons...and he would live the 3 hots and a cot lifestyle of domestic servitude for a long while...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Actually, if they are under 18 - you CAN legally keep them home!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Wow I like a lot of answers on this page...

particularly this :"No, you can not go out today"

and I also like this: I would beat his little ass"

Maybe you could try a combo of both....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Well this is not my situtation but it is of someone you means a lot to me...we don't have a curfew here and I my kids won't dare try to leave or live with some other parent...I agee with twinsplus2more that is what I did with my daughter she lots alot from her room....thanks everyone for great posting...wish the cops here would care ...they won't send a 13 almost 14 home
    Hugs
    katboydie

Comment by katboydie (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Just wondering, who is the "no one" that won't help? Is there another adult in the home that is encouraging this?
    I suggest you start looking into community groups and social services that might help you with a family therapist, or get your teen into some group/club that encourages safe and resposible behavior. If your S O or extended family isn't helping you parent, don't be ashamed to look elswhere for help. You have to keep your kid safe, you know, do what you have to.
    chicanueva

Answer by chicanueva at 10:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2010