Does anyone have a birthing story without an epidural they care to share with me?

I am 17 weeks pregnant with our second and I think I am going to do this :) I will be calling the hospital Tuesday to see if they have room for me in their midwife program (they only take 30 a month) but I was wondering what other experiences have been like. I definitely plan on getting some books to read on it. Any suggestions? TIA :)

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did not have an epidural for either of my children. It's not that I'm against them, but my labors both went too fast that they refused to give one to me. My first labor was 4 hours long and my second one was a whooping 4 and a half hours long.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I was 19 when I had my son in 1996. All I knew is that I did NOT want that needle anywhere near my spine and did NOT want numb. I went to 40 weeks and 2 days and my contractions started at noon. I went to the hospital and gripped the bed-rail while telling myself over and over that I could do it. I knew that I could because that was my mindset going into it. My son was born at 7:01 after 2 pushes and the pain was over. After that, I definitely know that next time, I will need no medicine because I will try different positions and will go in again with the "I can do it" mindset.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Mine were also too short for any kind of pain meds. My first was an hour and my second only 1 1/2. Very intense and horrible...not even a push and they were out. Good luck to you!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I did not have an epidural for either one of my children and it may not have been the best decision. My labors were long and difficult. One took days and the other was induced twice because the first time they gave me medicine to start my labor nothing happened so they doubled it.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I didn't have an epidural with my first..the hospital didn't have them at that time..I didn't care, I had a great doc! I had meds that nipped the contraction pain, but I felt everything else. It wasn't that bad in all honesty, and I held off a long time for a dose of pain meds (not the actual stuff that nipped the contraction pain)..you'll be fine, just find something peaceful to focus on.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I did it with my last 2....1st time not by choice, and I did want it, but it was so much better without, that I chose to do it again. If you prepare for it and have it in your head that you dont need it, it is not that bad! my 3rd I knew I didnt want it, and they kept saying they could get me meds, but I told them I was fine. The pain is not that bad if you prepare for it! It was quicker, and I pushed more effectively. I tell people all the time that it wasnt that bad, and they always think I am crazy, and everyone tried to talk me out of it, but people just have the thought that its sooo horrible it is impossible. Not so...you can do it, and the second that the baby is out you are instantly better, and you can get up quicker. good luck!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 9:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Husband Coached Childbirth by Robert A Bradley
    Take the class too worth every penny

No medications with either of my births.... and I am sooo glad I did not.... my 30 weeker pre term baby came home on day 10 at 4 pounds and never needed breathing help

the best way to get thru it is to know what your body is really doing and why ... educate yourself on the birth process (not from a DOCTOR) most doctors and L&D nurses DO NOT know how to labor a natural birthing mama they are great for sick people not too good for well people
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Oh, and don't go in thinking of how the epi is there if you need it. Go in thinking I don't need no damn epi. Hahahahaha Ladies who go in like that normally don't need them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Sorry, I thought of more..LOL

Get "Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth". It is awesome.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Hi I did it with both my kids without...with my son it was hard for me to breathe cause of asthma and they had to get him out with forceps.My daugther was a sit up birth and lots of pushing and due to that I had spots on face from lots of pushinh, I would do it again without epidural. I feel good and could walk around.. I feel it is better without and I hated needles... I am not good with pain but did it with an opened mine...best of luck and do what you feel comfortable with ...all the best
    Hugs
    katboydie

Answer by katboydie at 9:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2010