Working spells for protection, vengeance, justice, etc.: What's your opinion?

With spells that may potentially harm someone else, what's your opinion? I'm not talking about working a spell with the intention of harming someone, I'm talking about working a spell for something like protection or justice which may in some way may cause harm. For example, working a spell for your children to be protected while they're out, and then someone tries to hurt them and the person ends up going to jail or basically having the harm come back on them (karma, reaping what you sow, the rule of three, etc.).

I know everyone has their own opinions about these things, so I want to hear what you think.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do binding and protection spells fairly often, asking that no innocent people be harmed. I figure, if someone is behaving in a way that forces me to bind them, then they deserve whatever happens. But I don't want the spell to harm any innocent bystanders. You have to spell out to the universe EXACTLY what you expect to be done. That's why the spells of Harry Potter would never work. I do sometimes venture into gray magick, which is the enacting of a justice spell. But I have years of experience and control every aspect of the spell, stopping it if it seems to be going wrong.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• if you don't believe then WHY answer!

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 10:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• work the spell with a clear mind so that is purely about protection, then vengeance is not your purpose. you can not control what happens to others due to wrong doing by their own hand. if they try to hurt or have ill intent toward the protected and their negativity reflects back to them, then it is their doing not yours.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• As I recall from reading about witchcraft and hanging out with Wiccan friends, the main tenet of their beliefs was "do what thou wilt an it hurt none". In other words, go about doing what is right for you, just don't do it with the intent of hurting another.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• do as u want to be done remember the x3 rule if u do harm it will come back to u.. protection spells are good though.. and why do stupid ppl answer a damn question they dont even believe ..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• A protection spell that is not in the intent of harm but only protection is not a bad thing. One is not doing a spell to the person doing the harm BUT protecting a child from any harm. IF anyone attempts to harm them and they get into trouble then that is their karmic debt, not ours. All you are doing is protecting a child.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:52 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You have a right to protect yourself. You have a right to ask for justice. Venegence is a big no no. If I protect my child, and someone tries to hurt them, and they go to jail, it was because their INTENT was to HARM my child. Certainly not my because I protected them. Wording and intent is key.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If that was not your intent then it was the will of the spirits. Your intent was to help someone and/or protect them that is what counts. That is sending out positive energy. it is all about intent. And I agree with a couple of ladies here...If you do not believe or understand then say nothing.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I don't do anything that could come back to bite me in the ass ... big believer in Karma. Protection is fine, but I would avoid the vengeance.

Oh and for the "gullible" comment ... that goes for ANY religion out there, including Christianity.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think I can do such a thing with a clear conscience.

When I do something to passively defend myself (carry pepper spray, self-defense classes, work a spell, etc.) I am not actively working *against* anyone or affecting anyone's free will. S/he still has every opportunity to behave independantly.

It is only when they person exercises his/her free will to do harm that MY defense kicks in, whether it is to be maced, kicked or go to jail, etc. Their actions generated their own repercussions and the Law of Three worked against him or her.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010