Why do soo many parents lately feel the need to spell the name of their child different from it's original spelling?

I can understand when it still makes sense phonetically, like Nicholas being spelled Nickolas. But when it completely changes the pronunciation of the name or makes it difficult to recognize I think they are taking too far. These children have to live with the name and people constantly mispronouncing their name or misspelling it for the rest of their life because of parents trying to be "different". In some cases, it effects the kids professionally when they become adults. It makes them look like they came from undereducated families because of the misspelling of their name.

As someone who has a difficult last name(to spell and say) I can't see purposely doing that to a child. Last names we have to live with, but first names that we get to choose.. we should choose something that will benefit the child, not hinder them so they are bullied later for it.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 9:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Baby Names

• We have seen very strange names in my work. I think it's nice to be unique as long as it pronounceable. I hate being yelled at by a parent because I don't pronounce a name correctly. La-a = Ladasha ( "cause the dash ain't silent" we were told), Urapreciseangle =your a precious angel! I am not making this up, the spelling was so off I laughed out loud. This little girl goes by Ura now.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 5:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I guess the parents want their children's names to be "unique". My dd's name is Victoria, which is the traditional spelling. Her name is too pretty to screw up with a weird spelling! My daughter is unique because she is the only one in the whole world with her DNA that is named Victoria!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:26 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I totally agree.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:26 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I hear you and how about .......better yet when the parent corrects you on mispronouncing the name and they pronounceit with syllables or sounds of letters Not even in the name.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I totally agree with you I understand they want to be different but some names are really out there. Some names look nice changed alittle but the person who is calling it out will always spell it the way it is seen most common. personally I'd rather keep it real and avoid all that mix up. like our last name so many people pronounce it 2 different ways and the spelling is ridiculous, no wonder some times they can't find anyone in the system bc of of all the misspelling and pronouncing...ugh!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I forgot to add: my first name is difficult to spell and pronounce, and I know damn well I've been passed over for jobs because of it. It's not a made-up name...it's a name that was popular in the early 1900's, but it almost unheard of today (I've seen variations of the name, elderly ladies mostly).
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• it IS**
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• try living with a name like JOSSEAM VERNALIZ...i feel the pain everyday =( lol
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 9:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I also find this odd. Its like they want to be different and its the hip thing to do. But they need to remember their kids are going to have to learn to spell, pronounce the name as well. BUT just hope they dont name their kids like stars do; apple and such odd names.

My daughters first name is my grandmas maiden name; Jordan and her middle name is my moms middle name; Sharmel...which is very very unique.
    JMjonas

Answer by JMjonas at 9:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I TOTALLY agree with this! It drives me nuts and I don't understand why you would want to give your child a headache for the rest of their life having to correct everyone on the spelling of their name! We are going to have a whole generation of kids that this is going to affect since I know SO many people who have done this. I don't get it!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2010