Sometimes I don't mind playing with my DD and even enjoy it more often than not. But there are many days where I don't want to play pretend and be directed by her. What have you done in this situation?

My DD is 4 and goes to preschool 2 days a week, plus we usually have a play group meet up at least once a week.

carakitty

Asked by carakitty at 7:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I feel this way too. Lets play...what I want to play and I make up the rules and I am right and you aren't doing it right. I decided to set a timer and play whatever he wants for those minutes (usually no more than 30) . That way I know that we are having time together and I don't feel guilty for those other moments that I just walk away from the play time. I confess that the Ninentendo DS has become my best friend at moments...for him of course.
    Anonymous

• I'm honest with my child. I tell her/him "mommy doesn't want to play this right now, you need to go play in your room (or with the computer or something)" I think it's important that children know how to play alone as well as with others. Or sometimes I will tell them "mommy will play for 5 min, then you need to go play on your own". So far so good, it's worked in our house. If they're not use to this, it may take a little while for them to adjust. Most of the time my kids will go off and play but if they are feeling particularly attached that day, I let them bring their toys to the living room or whatever room I'm in. Seems to make a difference sometimes just being able to play near me.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 10:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• lol, I encourage my son to play with his imaginary friends when I get bored. :-) Otherwise I invite one of his friends over to play.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 2:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2008