should I take my son out of Catholic school?? PIOG

I am so sad. We moved and I thought I'd found an excellent school for my 3rd grade son. But he hasn't made friends. He says the boy who sits next to him is mean to him, pushes him, calls him names. I emailed the teacher, she said she would talk to the boy and "We don't tolerate that here." My son says the boy still bothers him. My son really wanted to be in Cub scouts. Today I get this email saying Cub scouts will be delayed because of a sport that every boy in the pack but my son is playing. Really, it said, "Every boy except S..." My son started to cry. First he said " I wish I was in football...no, I wish I didn't go to that school" What can I do?? I had hoped joining Scouts would help him to meet other kids, instead he is already feeling left out. Any thoughts?? It is an excellent school academically. I don't want to teach him to give up by just driving him back to his old school...

chicanueva

Asked by chicanueva at 9:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Have you called the Father. We have to address the teacher with problems then go to our pastor if things arnt fixed. I have found that the bullying in Private schools happens because the kids have been together for years and you add the new kid they see him as a target. The scouts not starting because if a sport your son isnt in is unfortunate but probably unavoidable. Have you gotten to know any of the families? Try planning something for the class that will get them doing something together. Like a craft., show and tell of a unique pet, or a treat at a holiday party. Can you be at school? If so make it a priority to be there and have your face seen by the children in your sons class. They are less likely to bully when mom is around. If you cant be at school then defiantly call the Father and teacher for help. And possible the school counselor. The class may need a talk about how to treat people. But keep with it.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• That sucks.  People seem to think private/Catholic school automatically equals nice kids and a great experience.  I went to Catholic schools for 13 years and, although I got a pretty good education, I was constantly bullied, teased, ostracized and made to feel worthless by my classmates.  There were years I had NO friends at all, sat alone for lunch and talked to no one.  The only time anyone talked to me was to make fun of me or insult me.  If I said anything to the teachers it just got worse because then I was a tattletale or a whiner.  So I just sucked it up and learned I never wanted to be like the jerk kids in my classes and I was always nice to everybody.  Sometimes I wondered if I was the only one ever paying attention in religion class because they sure weren't acting very Christian.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:20 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I don't know maybe try to get a play date with one of the kids. send talk to the teacher and ask if she could recommend one of the kids that may click with yours and have the teacher send a not home to the parents. just a thought.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 10:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thanks. I'll ask the teacher to help point him toward a nicer kid. They sit in ABC order, hope I;m not rocking the boat if I ask for a change for him...
    chicanueva

Comment by chicanueva (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thanks. I can't be at school much because of my own job., but will make it a point toget him there early and walk him in more often so the other kids see me. Once upon a time I might have thought it would make him seem like a "mamas boy" but I guess grade 3 is not too old to have mom around at all. I think you are right, the kids have been together since preschool, and it;s hard to be the new guy.
    chicanueva

Comment by chicanueva (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2010