Should Columbus Day be celebrated?

What do you teach your kids about Christopher Columbus?
&
Columbus day?

What should be taught in schools?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• if you like celebrating that kind of atrocity. I'll pass.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Sure. No nation was ever created without atrocity. Should we just not teach ANY history?? Wars are awful. conquering groups more often then not behaved horribly to those they believed beneath them. So of COURSE I will teach my children history....ALL of it. Not just the liberal.....lets hate everyone who didnt pee roses and rainbows....history that some are trying to regurgitate. I think its pretty crappy to judge people from cultures hundreds of years ago by todays standards.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Oh goodness, its part of history. There are a lot of things our children need to learn about so certain types of things don't repeat themselves. Yes, I teach preschool and we talk about how people had to travel in boats to discover that the world was round, that other lands were discovered, how we learned about other cultures and how other people live. I think you have to be developmentally and age appropriate. Its just like when a 1st grader came home from school and his teacher had talked about the "bad" people that killed everyone during 9-11. The teacher handled it poorly and the children went home scared to death. History needs to be discussed and we need to learn from it, but discretion in how it is explained is important.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• To actually answer your question, I do teach my son about Christoper Columbus. I also teach him about Leif Ericson as well. For those you don't know, Leif Ericson, was the first European to step foot in North America, about 500 years before Columbus did.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:14 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Why don't we teach children that America was already "discovered" before CC ever set foot on our soil? The Native Americans were already here. Why don't we have a NATIVE AMERICAN DAY instead?
    Anonymous

• Teach them the truth. Don't teach them part or a version. Teach them the truth. History isn't ugly, pretty, happy, or sad. It is just a collection of facts and truths. Also, teach them to always seek a deeper understanding of that truth, search to read actual accounts, diaries, logs, and any paper available. Then, and only then will the watered down diluted version that is taught about any historical topic now be corrected and we will be able to learn from the successes and mistakes. Never, ever teach them anything but the truth. If you do that, without bias, slant, or bandstanding you will have a child who will appreciate how all of this fits together.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Not just the liberal.....lets hate everyone who didnt pee roses and rainbows....history that some are trying to regurgitate.

tell that to the asshats in texas who want to call the slave trade "the Atlantic triangular trade"

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:20 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Anon- They have a whole month- http://nativeamericanheritagemonth.gov/

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• lovinangels, I think she was just letting me know that it was the same anon since there could be several anons in one post.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

Answer by autodidact a minute ago
    *************************
    LOL. TEXAS is redoing and revising history for school textbooks right now, as we speak and I really doubt that they are Liberals. Hehe.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010