What event happens to cause a criminal investigation?

My brother was arrested last night. My mother called to find out what he had been arrested for and they told her they could not release that information becuase he was under a criminal investigation. What could he have possibley done? Does anyone know.? What right does my mother have in seeing her son? They wont even let her in to talk to him. He is in some holding sell. He is 18 years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Hmm. Good question. It could really be a number of things. If it was a traffic incident like a DUI or he was caught with drugs in the car, I don't think an investigation would be necessary...so I am going to assume that it was something more serious. Do you know if he was in to drugs or anything like that? Selling them maybe? I am going to hope for your sake that it wasn't something REALLY serious, but I just don't know. I'll bump you though! Good luck.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Oh and once someone over the 18 is arrested, they have no rights to visitors or anything like that. I think they still get the 1 phone call thing but the police can determine when that is available.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• IT could be any # of things..
    arson
    arson resulting in death
    rape
    murder
    carjacking
    pedophillia
    hit&run
    but usually if they when they get locked up for criminal offense or if they trying to scare the person
    check online to see ur state laws on jails an incarceration..
    im a 2nd yr criminal justice major but every state law is different...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Unless it is a patriot act issue, you have to be charged with a crime in order to be held. Some states, they have 24 hours that they can hold you before they state and record the offense.

Arrest records are a matter of public record. Most counties have an online judicial system where these things are posted. Since it is a weekend, there wont be any info until Monday.

On Monday morning, call down to the jail and ask what his bail and charges are. If bail is not set, ask if there is a hearing for bail scheduled and get the time. Your mom has no legal reason to be let into the jail for visitation unless she is his lawyer.

The most common weekend in jail reasons: driving without or on a suspended license, simple assault, DUI
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:20 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It could be numerous things to engage a criminal investigation. The best thing you mother could do at the moment is to retain a lawyer who is legally required to be let in to talk with your brother.

he is now an adult and they do not have to grant you mother visitation until they have finished questioning him.

call a lawyer.. good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thank you so much for the info, I figured it was something more serious the a regular drug charge. I know he smokes weed, but I dont think he sells it. I live out of the country, so I havent seen my family in 2 years, but I talk to my mother regularly. I dont know what kind of things my brother gets himslef into. He recently dropped out of high school. And was arrested last year for stealing my moms car, driving without a liscense and failing to use blinker and running a red light.

I done think he is going down the right path. :(
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• there's tons he could have done or somebody has proof he did it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• He should not talk to anyone without having an attorney present.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• you can look at your local law enforcement website...I know here in Maricopa County you look up Maricopa county Jail click on new bookings for (date) and it has the booking photo and charges pending for each person arrested...It is updated every 3 days...so if he lived here and he was arrested 3 days ago his photo and charges would be posted in the morning...I go there every few months waiting to find my ex...LOL
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 12:19 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• ***for child support LOL
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 12:20 AM on Oct. 16, 2010