Box Tops

My daughters not in school yet but I keep hearing about kids collecting the box tops. What do they get for collecting them? I remember when I was in school we did the whole soup can collecting and the class that collected the most got a pizza party. Just was wondering what is the big deal with it is, I know it helps their school get money.

hosein

Asked by hosein at 10:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just sent in an envelope of them with ds today but he didn't turn them in, so I'll do it myself when I'm there to help in the library tomorrow. We have $11.50 worth...mostly thanks to a $7 Box Tops coupon that printed out at the grocery store (I guess I bought a certain number of whatever brand items and got that bonus $7 worth...? I'm not really sure, but it says turn it in at the school with regular Box Tops and it's worth $7). Ds' school gives a small prize for whomever bring the most in each class each month, a bigger prize for the kid that brings the most the whole year, and a party for the class that has most for the year.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 9:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Schools decide on the prizes. The school gets 10 cents for each one they turn in.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I have been sending them in for years now, I know they get money for the school and put it toward things they need.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:41 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• As Scout mom said, the school gets 10 cents each for turning them in. You can start collecting them now, because most don't expire for 3 years.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I was just wondering if the kids get anything, I keep seeing people begging for them on Craiglist. They say they need them for their kids to take to school. I guess some schools really do something special for the ones who bring in the most.
    hosein

Comment by hosein (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Some schools do special things for the child/teacher/classroom who brings in the most. For example, at my son's school, the child who brings in the most might get a special prize. The classroom who brings in the most will get a pizza party and the teacher might get to pick out something special with the money they receive from the BoxTop collections. Last year, my son's school raised a little over $2000. This year their goal is $2,500.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• At my daughter's school, the kid who brings the most each month gets a prize. The prize varies, but they have given small gift cards and other small prizes.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I don't think our school does anything special.  Their old school didn't.  They just collected them for the money they get.

I have 5, I think, sitting in my kitchen.  I'm waiting to collect a few more before giving them to one of my 3 kids to turn them in.  I rarely have any because I buy almost exclusively store brand so there are no opportunities for box tops.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Some of box top coupons have the value on them...the money goes to the school and the school usually give prizes to students who collect the most.
    Momgul

Answer by Momgul at 2:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2010