SEX

whats a good age to start talking to your son's about sex??? my son is 9yrs old and he is so baby like mind. his not intrigued or ask about it. i don't want to push the topic or anything but my husband says i have him way too baby for his age. i feel like when his ready he will come to me or go to someone he feels comfortable talking about this with. am i wrong by having him so baby like. i don't feel like i am but my husband drives me crazy about it. some kids his age know a little too much and are even disrespectful to women. in a way i am happy that my son is still baby but is this so wrong. my husband is Puerto Rican and a lot of Spanish men think that little boys should be born knowing the macho lingo. ohhh so frustrated. i try to do my best but always someone has an issue with something

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 10:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think YOU are right on this one Ink, your son will come to you or another adult - like dad and ask questions when he is ready. Other 9 yr old boys who are already "in the know" and degrading women is HORRIBLE and certainly you and DH do not want DS to be participating in that! What do you mean by saying you baby your DS? I don't get that feeling from your post....
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• This is a topic my mother and I don't agree on. I'm 42 and my mom still hasn't had the "talk" with me. She was in the middle of a divorce when I was 13 so she had bigger issues on her mind. My kids are 3, 8, 10 and 12. With the exception of my 3 year old they know about the dangers of drugs, smoking, sex, and a lot of things. They have probably been exposed to more than the average child, but I feel the more they know the better choices they will make. They have gone through a priest in our church being arrested, a gym teacher being arrested and a good friend of mine's daughter being raped. They know where babies come from, they know how drugs negatively affect familys and they know that no one should ever touch them inappropriately and most of all they know they can talk to me about everything. You don't need to be graphic with your son, but definate open the door to educate him. Or perhaps daddy should do that!
    DeeMomOfFour

Answer by DeeMomOfFour at 11:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• As for your statement of "someone always has a problem" you tell them

Viete a la mierda!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Well coming from experience, I never went up to my mom when I started being curious about sex. I started hearing things from kids at school and just kept it all to myself and actually dreaded the thought of having that conversation with my parents. A girl on the bus had written me a note and was talking about sex in it, and my mom found it. That's how the topic was brought up. So from that standpoint, I think it is more important for a child to know about sex before they start hearing things from other kids who certainly don't know what they are talking about. The last thing anyone needs is a child misinformed about sex and how everything works etc. etc. If you think your son is not ready to have a conversation on that level, then go head and wait until you feel he is mature enough. Although in this day and age, I wouldn't wait too long. Its best for him to get the right information from you first.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I still really don't get the feeling that you spoil him and by asking him if he knows what it is, you have made it clear to him that if he wants to he can come to you with questions. I think you are doing just fine! Relax and enjoy this time of his innocence....it probably won't be here for long!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• He showing his not ready being a mother off 4 boys the age is about 12 the girls around (in there class ) is changing they notice there body's changing hair on it. This is the time for father and son to talk tell him the time will come just not now lol
    lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Personally, I think 9 is WAY to late to just start talking sex. Hell, by sex I was already experimenting with friends... Personally, I think the subject should be covered and talked about often from the time they are able to understand the basics... My kids are 3 & 4 and have already had those lessons.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I agree with SabrinaMBowen.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 11:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Well my daughters school had a thing where they divided the females and males.They discussed the birds and the bees. At grade 4 they talk to all of the kids that way our PTA is hoping teen pregnancy rate wont be high.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 1:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• "vete para la mierda"...yeah i am Puerto Rican too lol i know that one by heart...lol i do tell my husband its just a lot of fights are over me always being so over spoiler or whatever with my kids mainly my son...
    iNk-FrEaK

Comment by iNk-FrEaK (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2010