my DD starts daycare tomorrow...for half the day there are two daycare workers and then one goes home...so for half the day my DD, who is 12 weeks, and another baby who is 6 weeks will be there with one daycare worker and about 6 other preschool age kids....should i be worried?

??

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Okay, I looked it up based on the state listed on your profile. For a Daycare center the teacher to child ratio for Infants is (1:4). For a home daycare it is-

Birth to 24 months (1:6) two of the 6 children must be at least 16 months and walking.
    Otherwise the ratio is 1:4
    Birth to 6 years

(1:10) No more than 3 of the 10 children may be under sixteen months
    of age and must be walking

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• That doesn't sound legal to me. Child care centers have guidelines for adult to child ratios.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yeah I'm pretty sure that's illegal. I think (in CA anyway) it's 5 kids: 1 adult. With 2 very young infants and 6 older theres there should be at least 1 more adult.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i would b..i wouldnt want my child who is under 2 alone with one person an 7 other kids for more than 5 min..i didnt even leave my kids with anyone with more than 2 kids in their home til they were at least 1
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Is this a home daycare? That is one of the reason's why I don't like some home daycares, there is too big of an age difference. What state do you live in and I can tell you what the child to teacher ratio is.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Indiana
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Most daycares can't have those age kids together.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• So based on that chart it is not legal unless some of the children leave when the other daycare worker does. I would find out more about the situation and if she does have 6 preschool age kids with 2 babies then I would strongly suggest finding another daycare provider AND reporting her to the state.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My step mom who has a licensed home daycare in Illinois has always had 7 kids at a time, she is allowed 2 babies at a time and 5 toddlers and preschoolers I think, I'm not sure what the rules are with the older kids, but it's 2 babies. And I'm sure it's legal, food program people have come and met with her during the day when I was there before and I imagine she has to get checked out by other state people at times too. She has to take classes and do all kinds of stuff to stay licensed, so I know it's allowed. Anyway, she has never had a problem caring for them all and she's done it for probably 30 years now.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• yes, it is a home daycare
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2010