Would this offend you?

I went to a church today for the free drawing thing they were doing and they had a class for kids before the drawing was supposed to happen so I figured my son could go there if I kept an eye on him because he is only 2. So I kept coming out of the main church (the class was outside) and peeking around the corner to check on him. I have never been to keen on leaving my precious baby with strangers. It didn't make me very happy when they started taking his picture for their website without asking me first and they served him a snack without even asking if it was ok or asking about allergies. Anyway, the teacher seemed to be all offended that I kept checking on him. Would you have been upset if you were that teacher? How would have have handled it if it was your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I actually had a similar experience. In our church, a place we went to before our son was born, we gave specific instructions for them. Teens from the church were running the toddler room. I spelled out what foods he can and cannot have.....and it went in one ear and out the other. So when we went we kept him in the big church with us. Our minister asked why we didn't leave him. It was a big hint that the preference was on keeping children out during the main talk. Truthfully, we did just didn't go back until last Sunday. Now he is old enough and he has a different room. My child has some eating issues and I am not very fond of giving instructions and them not being heard. As far as the website....I also make that clear, where ever we go, his picture is not to be taken. I do that out of privacy. I would not post other children on my accounts or sites and I expect the same in return.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• This must be your first child, lol. While I don't think it is bad that you were checking up on him, perhaps you were a bit too often. I'm guessing that the church members assumed that if there was a food alergie that you would have alerted them of it before leaving your toddler in their care. I would let him have fun and enjoy your church service.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't have been upset that you were checking on him.

I would have found it a bit irritating that you were annoyed over the snack issue because it's pretty common knowledge that children are given snacks during church service. You should have been the one to tell them not to give him one if you didn't want him to have one. Plus MOST churches put a sign on the door that says "Today we are Tasting...."

As for the pictures thing....most churches will ask you before putting the pics on the website even if they've already taken them. If it bothers you tell them.

But most of all REMEMBER that THIS IS NOT A DAYCARE. YOU ARE NOT PAYING THEM and while you most definately can and should tell your preferances you should not become angry over little things like a snack IMO.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It's a church class..they have snacks and take pictures. I wouldn't have checked up. I wouldn't have gotten so upset over the snack or the pictures.

If he had an allergy, it's your job to tell them, not their job to hunt you down and ask. And they are there to take care of your kid. No need to check every few minutes, he wasn't gonna be there 10 hours.

I would have been nice, but, slightly peeved at you constant checking and interruption and your irritation over the snacks and pictures.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think you should have offered the info on allergies, or whether or not he could have anything, etc... With any school setting you should ALWAYS talk to the person in charge. That way everyone's on the same page, and then you wouldn't have to worry so much. As for checking in on him, you wouldn't have had to if you would have spoke to the teacher first.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Nope. I'm like you. I always check up on my kids.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 10:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I have kids and ANY good mother would go and check on their child. If it offends anyone that you check on you child that is their problem and not yours. With the way the world is today you don't know who you can and cannot trust. You did the right thing and you should consider yourself a good mom
    samhain

Answer by samhain at 10:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• If I had been the teacher I would have been annoyed. I would have been thinking to myself that if you didn't trust me, then you should have just kept your son with you. I can see checking once to make sure things are going smoothly, but it sounds like you were checking every 5 minutes. I also wouldn't have gotten mad about the snack or pictures. If my daughter, who so far has no allergies, but if she does develop any, I will make sure I let any and all caretakers know when she's handed off to them. Did you expect her to go ask every kid's parents whether they had an allergy or not?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I also wanted to add that with the snack issue...

I taught preschool for 5 years and a parent NOT wanting their child to have a snack is a RARITY so if it is a big deal to a parent that he not have something the PARENT should have made that clear before hand.

I understand this was a new experience for you but I really do think you are over reacting.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• So what was the point in going if you were going to walk out the whole time? Are you considering becoming a member of this church? If so, it's common for parents to just drop their kids off at sunday school. If you are worried about allergies you should tell them a head of time. They aren't getting paid to watch him,so they don't need to have a written agreement about photos. Anyone can take a photo of anyone and do what they want with it unfortunatly. And do you know for sure HE was getting his picture taken and what the intent was? What were your expectations leaving him there?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010