baby acne or something eles?

Okay my son started having " baby acne" once he was 1 week old, he is now 4 weeks old. And the spots are infammed and cover his entire face, head, chest, and arms, and now starting his legs. It has progressively gotten worse. I've bought baby detergent, wash him with mild soap etc...I took him to the dr.s and they reassured me it was baby acne. I was wondering if anybody eles baby had the same symptoms because being covered in acne doesn't seem normal to me could it be something eles? even though he seems fine I am very worried it's something other than acne as this is my 4th child and i've never seen it this bad, i hate to say it but it's kinda disgusting . any advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could get another opinion from a different Dr.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• is baby acne another name for eczema? i had a cousin who had this on her 2nd and 3rd child. not sure what it was called but she had to see a specialist and they took them off of milk. the milk inflammed it. it was all over their body. so sad. but after they each turned 2 it cleared up. now you would have never known they had it. and if they got hot they would scratch and scratch and more appeared where they scratched. i wish you the best. hope you can find the results you need!!!
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• No, baby acne is not another name for eczema. It is baby acne. My son had it for a couple of months..on his face and back. If you are really worried, take the baby to a pediatric dermotolgist for a second opinion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i would def. change drs if its getting worse and there doing nothing about it try a second opinon. it could be eczema my daughter had this and i took her to ped and they kept telling me it was ok that it would go away but then one morning it was horriable i took her to the emergency room and they told me she had eczema i had wash her clothes and her in everything that dye and scent free instead of mild go completly scent free she is now 2 and i still have to use things like that no one with perfume or lotion on even touch her or she will break out they make cream at walmart for it but it gets worse before it gets better needless to say i changed drs after they told me it would go away on its on so maybe try it. good luck
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Definitely use the FREE detergent!! Also, my oldest has something called keratosis pilaris. It looks like acne but its not. Something builds up in the hair follicles and plugs them up. I had it when I was younger, but my son has it on his face, arms, and legs - way worse than I ever had it. Google it - there's lots of information and maybe you can decide if it is something similar to what your baby has.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Remember every child is different so just because you didn't see it before doesn't mean it is something bad. Could it be heat rash. Just try keeping his face clean by wiping it with a soft, wet wash cloth 2x a day. Also, if you changed detergents remember you have to rewash everything and that includes sheets and your clothes anything that his skin touches. You can also try to not wear scented lotions or perfumes for a month or so. It is most likely just baby acne though especially if that's what the doctors said. I'm sure he's fine and though it may not be fun to look at now your son, I'm sure, is still a beautiful baby and very soon you will see that
    DawnDietz777

Answer by DawnDietz777 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 11, 2010