Dead Backyard

We are in the process of buying a foreclosed home which means dead backyard!! I need some ideas how to decorate and where to start! THANKS

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

staceybelly9

Asked by staceybelly9 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would plant some St. Augustine (sp?) glass. If you already have patio furniture, I would use it to put it by the backdoor. If not, I would go to a resale shop and get some or wait for a sale at a store.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 12:16 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I personally would make a patio area over in the high corner up top and get rid of the patio at the door seeings how the yard is so small thEN i would add some pretty flowers along the fence line and put up yard border then whatever was left I would plant some nice Bluegrass.
    I would also add a canopy over the patio area and have a BBQ pit in there along with bench style seating.
    I would also try and get rid of all that tall stuff that's in the top of the picture rip it all out along the house there
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:17 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Grass is amazingly resilient. If you have the ability to water it (not being restricted on water use due to drought), water it gently once a week so you can see if it will come back. If you can't get the grass to come back - seed it with a grass appropriate to your zone (your local garden store will know that). A small deck set would be great off to the side. Trim back all the overgrown plants. Plant zone appropriate flowers in planters and along the back fence.
    Remember that while that concrete pad is great for setting up the grill or fire pit (non-flammable surface), it is on the small side and if you put too much on it you'll block the door and make the flow outside awkward.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I like the idea of ripping out the existing patio and installing a flagstone patio on the end with the most shade in the late afternoon (when temperatures are at their peak) and then building a large pergola with climbing vines to cover it for shade. I'd also add a fire pit, grill, and a stone path leading from the patio doors to that end, line the outer edge of the path with small evergreen shrubs interspersed with low growing perennials. I would also plant some semi-mature shade trees--that grow quickly. On the inside edge of the path closet to the house, I would plant a butterfly garden with birdbath and small bird feeder!

Doing this would free up one whole end of your yard for a play area/swing set (instead of two smaller areas). Add drought tolerant grass, and use the fence to grow flowering vines--trumpet, clematis, roses, etc. Mulch all of the gardens heavily. And don't forget to water! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Forgot to add...take out all of the existing shrubbery--unless there is something that can be pruned and saved that you like, and paint the fence! You can add pre-made trellis pieces at Lowes/Home Depot (painted the same color as the fence) to add texture/pattern and a place for vines to grow!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You might want to start planting some plants. A char broil patio grills,outdoor resin tables and chairs is perfect for your backyard.

michellereed

Answer by michellereed at 11:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2012