Single mothers: Did your child[ren] ever ask for a Father? How did you handle it?

Since putting my son in day care he has watched some of the other children being picked up by their fathers. It wasn't long before he started asking where his father was. I never knew how to answer. I would always divert the conversation to something else. When we go out he calls other strange males Dad and even my male friends. Some times I get embarrassed about it.

mjsmommy133

Asked by mjsmommy133 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't be embarrassed by it. He is a kid and is going to ask a lot of questions. This is what I told my son the few times he asked, " Everyone has a father but not everyone gets to see their father and that is ok." You could go further and say that some daddys are in heaven or some love their kids in their own way but can't be with them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It's a normal part of learning to deal with not having the nuclear family unit. My DH died, so whenever I've been asked, I've told them you have a dad. He may not be here now, but he'll always be a part of you.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thank you for your responses .. I guess I felt embarrassed b/c I feel like people automatically judge me and assume that my son doesn't know his father. I just hate feeling like a stereotype. Being young doesn't help either .. mind you I'm 25 and people tell me I look like I'm 16. Truth is he doesn't know his father .. he wanted me to get an abortion and I refused. I kept the baby and he left. I expected him to ask at one point but sometimes he talks to strange men when we go out & calls them daddy then they look at me like o_0
    mjsmommy133

Comment by mjsmommy133 (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2010