Do you ever get angry, when strangers act like they never seen a fit.

My 4 yr old likes to throw fits, when she dont get her way, were at the store she lays down and kicks and screams. i have learned to stand there and wait,, cause other wise she kicks me, and bites. well most people understand, however some say things, i get angry and want to stand up for my child.. mostly i feel like " yours never threw fits right"

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 11:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i feel for you my soon to be 3 yr old boy through a huge fit today when we went to leave a store..kicking trying to bite & fly out of my arms... I took him away from the situation....but if you're shopping its not always feasable to leave when you are on a time crunch.

Is she small enough to fit into the shopping cart seat?....i find it so much easier to manage a fit when they can't go anywhere..but maybe its my crutch lol

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Mine has done that to the point where I want to cry and people try not to stare. Some people are bold and tell my daughter she ls acting silly. Psychologist says that I need to give three chances then leave. And that one is usually a verbal with explanation of two and three; two is the first punishment whatever that is and three is leave the store. And we probably shouldn't stand and wait, that may be ok for the home but not in public. I would say take her and go to the car until she calms down or make arrangements to shop without her.
    mamakrysoftwo

Answer by mamakrysoftwo at 11:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• my son only did this once. we both just stood there and carried on a calm conversation. I said well why don't you get the eggs, butter, and .... within a few minutes he stopped because we were not paying attention to him. then my husband said are you through? I noticed people looking but I think they were more at awe that this didn't get to us. he never really did that again. mostly it doesn't get him anything not even negative attention.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 11:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I get angry at parents that allow their children to throw fits, not that kids have fits. I NEVER allowed my son to throw a fit. I have left public places many times because of his behavior. Kids need to be taught how to act in public.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I agree with tyfry. I didn't have this problem with my kids but that said, I think people forget about raising kids. Tantrums are a part of the deal. Good for you for standing there and not reacting while she freaks.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• ok picture this, i have a grocery cart, a 23 month old in the cart,, how do i pick this child up? remove her. and carry the other one too. cause i'v only been a mother for 18 years, so i might not have figured this one out yet!!!! oh and by the way , her doctor told me to stand there and ignore it ,,
    kileighsmommie

Comment by kileighsmommie (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My kids might have had a fit but if any one of my three got cranky, I removed them from the store right away before it got so bad that it was "a fit" and let them know it won't be allowed to happen again. After a few times , they learned.
    But I rarely took them shopping with me. I waited to shop when DH was home and the kids could stay home with him. I would be too embarassed to stay in a store while my kid threw a fit. But , on the whole,my kids were usually pretty cheerful.They ate well and took good naps so if I occasionally took them with me when I went shopping they were in a good mood.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• 23 month old strapped in front and out of control 4 yr old in the buggy and both out the door. Have you tried to talk to her before going in the store? Have you spoken to a psychologist?
    mamakrysoftwo

Answer by mamakrysoftwo at 12:36 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• shes 4, not out of control, shes not trying to destroy the store,, she wants a toy and i say no,, she gets upset,,, o thats funny pick her up put her the cart so she can jump out and get hurt... nope try agian
    kileighsmommie

Comment by kileighsmommie (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010