Have you and your family not been affected by this economy at this moment?

This bad economy really had not affected us until 2 months ago. Are there any families out there that have not been affected greatly.

ednaamelia

Asked by ednaamelia at 11:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have been horribly affected. Lost 2 jobs and am now unemployed. Going to school fulltime in hopes that it will get me a decen job when I am done. I am grateful that my parents are in a position to help me out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yes we have been affected and countless around us have lost their jobs....we are holding our breath and counting our blessings.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• haven't been affected at all...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We both have been able to keep our jobs but dh's mom was laid off after 17 years at the same business and his dad is an electrician who is having a hard time finding new jobs as well. :(. DH is in the military and I used to work at a hospital both jobs which are in high demand. We have since moved and I am pregnant so I babysit another military mom's son whose dad is away for training.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• not really.. we still do the same spending .. have the same income coming in although last year he worked at owen corning for a month and found out that they do lay offs right around christmas and then during the summer/fall if no hurricanes come through our area(no need in extra shingles)..so he heard that and was out.. he quit.. we have a family to feed and just knowing they knew when they would do lay offs kinda drove him crazy.. but my father in law was affected he had worked at a plant that made gypsum, which is used in dry wall, and when the economy got bad they had to shut down because no one in our area was buying dry wall so after 23 years at the plant he was 57 and had no job.. its like they took his manhood. it was so sad.
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 5:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• not really. We both grew up in poor households so we know how to stretch a dollar. Haven't done anything different.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:40 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We have been affected, but not in the way you mean. We saw what was happening and got a little smarter with our money. My husband's company made some changes, they didn't affect him, but it alarmed us enough to think about the what-ifs. His salary has increased, we budget, spend less and have paid off all of our debts during this recession. We have money in savings now for 'just in case'. So I still want to say that we have been affected, but not negatively.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We have not been affected very much.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We haven't been affected at all.

Answer by missanc at 10:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Well I'm glad there are some of you that have not been affected. And those that have, this too will pass. And if it doesn't we will learn to adjust. I am currently a stay at home mom, but will start looking for a job as soon as mmy newborn is a little older. It will be hard because I plan for him to get breastmilk only for his first year. We want to save for a home and right now with my husbands pay we are only making it by. And Tyfry don't give up you will make it through.
    ednaamelia

Comment by ednaamelia (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Oct. 11, 2010