How close is your family?

I never see my side of the family but we do things with my fiance's all the time. I have never been around a close family before and it is weird to me, kind of scary because I am not use to it. Me and my brother and sister went our own separate ways when we grew up. I see my parents every couple of months and thats fine with us. Is it normal to see your family every week and talk to them all the time when you are all adults? I think I might be afraid to get close to them or something, but it does feel nice being welcomed and feeling like they want to see us alot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I text and email my dad and three siblings multiple times a day, and late at night when I finally have time, I talk to them on the phone. My dad lives with us so we see him every day, I have one sister I don't see much but still text every day, I see my brother often- I babysit his kids several days a week and we do things together too plus we text every day, and my other sister I see anywhere from twice a week up to 15 days in a row last year, plus we text every day and talk on the phone late at night. We are very, very close and I can't imagine NOT being like this. We love it. I do have friends, I just happen to be related to most of them, LOL! My husband only talks to one of his siblings, and that is not too regular. He rarely talks to his parents or sees them. I am so thankful that my parents fostered such closeness in our family. They were such loving, kind, patient, and gentle parents, and that is why we are close.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:19 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We all live within a few blocks of one another, but if we can avoid each other we do. We always come together when someone is in need, but beyond that we are all rather independent of one another. My DH on the other hand... He and his siblings live in each others pockets... My BIL lives in our basement and my SIL calls at least 3-4 times a day just to check in... It drives me insane! Cut the damn strings...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I speak with my family at least once a day if not more... but I don't HAVE to.. my hubby is VERY close to his family and we see them ALL the time for long periods of time and it gets on my nerves. At first I loved the fact of being welsome but there is a such thing as too much family for your family. It makes it hard for our little family to branch iut on our own bc we are always doing something with the big family. I try to get them to look at it as we are a big ole family but my hubby myself and kids are a small one inside of it and we need to work as one without them all the time.
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• my mom family is all dead her and siblings I only have one cousin and a sister I don't see my sister much because she stay in Atalanta but mt hubby family is very close in face is aunt stay down the street and one stay around the conner I love there closeness it makes me fell loved and safe
    lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I would embrace it. My family is not that close and it hurts but my husbands family, WELL they are super close. It did feel weird and sometimes still does but embrace it. It is nice to have it and especially for your kids. But make sure you have some boundaries.
    allmomma

Answer by allmomma at 12:17 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Me and DH have the same problem. I'm from large, tightknit family. My DH rarely sees his (even though they live a few blocks away!!!). It's wonderful being in a close family. Even though we live in different towns, not a day goes by that I don't see, speak, visit with one of them. We are always in eachother's lives (in a positive and negative way) but it's so comforting having people around that you've known all your life. Holidays are awesome. They all played some role in who I am today. My In-laws are very "every man for himself". We take time out of our lives to maintain that family bond. I'm very happy that our baby will be a part of this wonderfull, caring group of people. I'm still getting my DH used to this. He also wants us to distance ourselves from my family, They don't meddle in our marriage or how we raise our DD. They just want to be a part of our journey. I see no problem with that.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 4:24 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• ours is a well knit close family
    A11

Answer by A11 at 4:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My husband's family is very close and see each other all the time (they all live in the same town/city). Before we moved in 2008, we were able to see them all the time, too. It was weird to me, at first, but I grew to love it and really enjoy that his family is so close. My family lives all over the place; there's a reunion once a year (mother's side) and I see my dad and his side every few years.

I miss my dad.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:08 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• a Thousand miles too close! LOL
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 11:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2010