How difficult or easy was it for you emotionally moving your baby from breastfeeding to formula? If it was difficult emotionally, what did you do to feel better about it? Did you have support from friends and family?

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 12:25 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hated it, but, at the time thought it was right. Looking back, I was wrong.

NO ONE EVER in my family but me has breastfed a child. I had more support than I needed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:32 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i didnt want to but he had digestive issues only premature formula would help ..it was hard but my babys healthy either way
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:19 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It tore me up but I had to stop and put her on NAN HA because she was just so allergic to everything I ate, that I eventually didn't eat anything but cup a soup. I wasn't getting any real nutrition. I still regret taking her off the breast. I had a lot of support though. Everybody understood how hard it was and eventually insisted I stop BFing and start eating bc I was starving myself.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 6:37 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I did it too early on someone's advise. I had no support to tell me to stick with it. I regret it to this day even though that baby turned out healthy and happy.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Stopping breast feeding was the hardest decision I made since I had my son.. When my milk was gone I wanted so bad to bring it back but knew the BF just was not working for us. I had the support I needed from my entire family when I had to quit and while I was BF. I'm honestly the only one who was upset about my quitting. The one thing that made me feel better about was that my son finally stopped getting ear infections and his thrush finally cleared up (yes we were both being medicated and tried 2 medications and I sterilized EVERYTHING that went in his mouth at least once a day but it jsut would not go away).
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• A way to make it easier on the both of you (besides letting the baby decide when to wean) is to do it gradually. Replace one nursing session per week with formula. Easier on baby, easier on your body, and I would imagine a little easier on you emotionally.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You're gonna get really tired of hearing from me on this issue, but I've found that the only real support system anyone needs is in her own mirror. If the woman in the mirror isn't good with what you're doing, then it doesn't matter what everyone else in the world is telling you.

I've often found that if I need outside emotional support for something, I've chosen the wrong path.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2010