Does anyone else agree that religion should be kept out of politics?

That religion shouldn't even be brought up when it comes to the election? As a Christian woman, I do understand that I would want some one that reflects the same views I do, but I don't think that it should be used to get voters. I wouldn't want any kind of fanatic when it comes to religion in office.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I am an athiest, so I agree. But I am also a conservative republican, so I understand that sometimes, for some people it helps with their comfort level. I believe all of the same things that a traditional conservative republican does, but I just use the law and morality to back up my feelings, rather than religion.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I think they are totally different issues and a persons religion does not dictate how they would be as a political leader. There are people who are strong leaders from all different kinds of religious backgrounds and to eliminate them as a choice would narrow our choices down quite a bit and maybe the person of a specific religion isn't necessarily the best person for the job. It should be based on their experience and hopefully their morals. Good luck on the last one.
    Su-Z-Q

Answer by Su-Z-Q at 8:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Religion should definitely be kept out of politics.

Bumper Sticker: Burned At Stake

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 8:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Wasn't it Jesus that said " let Caesar keep what is Caesar's and give unto God what is His"? I may have not stated that correctly, but I believe that the message is clear enough.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 8:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Thank you! I agree - keep religion out of politics!
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 8:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the original question, hibicent. It definitely speaks for itself. "Give to Caesar's what is Caesar's, and give to God what is His."
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 8:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• The United States was built with the hand of GOD. They should always be close.
    ohionavymom

Answer by ohionavymom at 9:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Finally!! Someone with common sense!! Lol I agree completely!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Yes but I dont think it could ever truely be. Religion is usually part of a person so unless they are athiest it wont really happen.
    I think they use their religion to connect with others.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 9:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• """"The United States was built with the hand of GOD. They should always be close."""""

Uh, the native Americans were here first, and they weren't Christian. You'd think that if Christianity was "the" religion, they'd have heard of it.

Freedom of Religion applies to ALL religions, and all their Gods.
    Anonymous