How do I get my 2 year old to eat when she has the flu?

My daughter has been sick for 2 days and started throwing up last night. Well shes been throwing up off and on all day and she can't even look at food without gagging. I know she needs to eat I can see it in her face. What do I do????? should I force her to eat or just wait for her to let me know when she is ready to eat again?

momof2289

Asked by momof2289 at 1:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• feed a cold, starve a flu right? i think that is how that wive's tale goes. if it's only been a day, my rule of thumb is to just make sure she is drinking enough. she'll let you know if she's ready to eat. if she's refusing liquids too then you should probably get her into a dr to make sure she isnt getting dehydrated.

hope she feels better soon!
    acounard

Answer by acounard at 1:08 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Don't force her to eat!! No one wants to eat when they are vomiting. The best you can do is try to get her to take some fluids (flat ginger ale, gatorade/pediolite). After she has stopped vomiting for a few hours and is drinking fluids without feeling sick, you can start giving her bland foods (toast, banana, rice) for a day or more, and then slowly get her back to regular foods asa her appetite returns.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 1:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't force her to eat. Just make sure she stays hydrated; pedialyte is good.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It's more important that she stays hydrated. I would agree with making sure she gets some Pedialyte (Besides drink form, they also make it in freezy pops.) When my son had a stomache virus, the peditrician said it would also be okay to mix half gaterade and half Pedialyte together to make it taste a little better.

When she starts showing signs of wanting to eat, you should do the BRAT diet. (Just FYI...BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Apples, and Toast) Once she can keep that down, it should be safe to go back to her normal eating routine.
    MomToLilAngel

Answer by MomToLilAngel at 3:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Thank you....I've tried to give here pediolite but she doesn't like the taste...I did find out tho that she just has a really bad ear infection so that is whats making her sick to her stomach...I've been giving her ginger ale and she really likes it. She can't keep food down yet but hopefully she will get better soon.
    momof2289

Comment by momof2289 (original poster) at 11:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2010