orchiectomy on my 6 week old son. Advice please!!!

This weekend we found out our son had Testicular torsion (twisted testicle). He was in so much pain and it was very hard and big. Aparently there is only a 6 hour time limit and if you don't make it the testicle looses all it's blood circulation and dies, therefore having to remove the testy (orchiectomy). It was the most horrible thing we all had to go through (him more so of course) but I just can't seem to come to peace with this. I am so depressed and upset and mad. I know there was nothing we could have done to save it cuz who even knows of such a thing, but it's just not settling well with me. I am worried about his future and just that fact that that was a very important part of him and I don't know how to deal with all of this?? Does anyone have any advice for me? Anyone else ever have to go through this or something similar? I know he's healthy and I am so thankful but I am just so... Lost in words! Please help!!

Blessedmama23

Asked by Blessedmama23 at 1:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At seven weeks old, my daughter was in the beginning stages of congestive heart failure and had open heart surgery. I know it's completely different medically, but the feelings you expressed are all things that I've felt. I worry how she'll feel about her scar. I worry about the long term implications of her birth defects (the heart was only the most urgent of her birth defects). I worry about everything, from every angle, and I have a million different feelings from "Why me?" to "I am amazingly lucky."

It's all normal. My best advice is to set those feelings aside for a place and time when you can focus on them, probably at least once a day in the short term. I used the shower to stop and think about how my daughter's conditions affected me and how I feel about them. Then, when it's time to be done and all the feelings are felt, put them on hold and live your life throughout the day. Don't focus on the bad and miss out.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:08 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Thank you so much for that! You truly made me feel a little better with coping! You are very right, I didn't even think about how that can take up my time with him, but I totally see how it would because I am so caught up in it sometimes with all the why's and how's and I should try to focus more on just being thankful he is healthy and being there for him! I am so sorry you and your little girl had to go through that... As bad as it was for us, I can't even imagine what you must have been through! I hope she is recovering well and it sounds like she has an amazing mommy! Thank you so much again!
    Blessedmama23

Comment by Blessedmama23 (original poster) at 2:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Friend me if you'd like. My son has one testicle. He had a hydrocele at birth and the pedi said to "watch him" because he couldn't feel the other testes. I of course (nursery nurse) knew that it could "just" be undescended. But that one side did swell up and he had emergency ABDOMINAL surgery at 7 weeks, because the doc wanted to save the side where the hydrocele was and also do an exploratory abdominal search for the other one. There was no other one. So, my ds, almost 20 years old has one and has had NO trouble that he has ever discussed with me. The last time we were at a urologist he was about 8, and he was told he could have an artificial one implanted, so he would "look" the same on both sides. He doesn't seem concerned, I know he's having sex and if he's okay I'm ok. I guess his fertility issues will come along later, if there are any.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I am very happy to hear that everything is pretty normal for your son! I am so worried for my sons future, but the more and more I hear about it, it sounds like since they were able to save and secure the other side that he should be able to run a normal life. Did your son end up getting a artificial one implanted?
    Blessedmama23

Comment by Blessedmama23 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2010