Ear wax???

Okay this is gross but my 8 month old DS has been having clumps of ear wax. I literally can pick it out with my fingers! Its gross. I have NOT been cleaning his ears with anything. I know better. Im going to mention it to his Pediatritian in 3 weeks. I am curious to know if any other mamas have experienced this?? Is this normal? Baby also pulls on his ears often but I think that's teething related.

Thanks moms!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try cleaning his ears with a cotton swab every day if you dont already, i cleaned my daughters ears every 4 days before now i do it every day, it helped because not much builds up in one day
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 2:09 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my ds (6months) gets clumps if i don't clean his ears everyday. just take a q-tip and clean just the opening of the ear and the outside, don't actually enter the ear canal. i always clean them after his bath, and it makes him laugh (i guess it tickles lol) if you're still concerned then talk to the doc. when you go again.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:12 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My daughter was the same way and yes it is gross! I asked my Dr. and she said it's a good thing because the babies ears are "self cleaning" nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My little one gets really bad ear wax, but I did't like to mess with his ears. If its bad enough the doc will clean them for you. I'd rather ask the doc to than try to myself and hurt him - and when I said that the doc completely agreed, lol. :)

Of course my kid is almost three now, so I don't mind cleaning the opening of his ears, but when he was that little I was too scared to mess with it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My, as well as my sons ears are like this. Its a good thing. They are cleaning themselves and the ear wax is an antibiotic barrier to keep out gunk. My pedi told me this and also said it will decrease chances of infection. Im 26 and have had 2 ear infections my whole life. So, i could see how thats plausible. And my son is 15 months and hasnt had one yet. My advice to you is to just wipe the wax out with a wash cloth while in the shower. DO NOT use a q tip/cotton swab. This will push the wax build up into the ears and clog them. Trust me i made that mistake. I had to go to the doc and get me ears flushed cause i had used q tips and made a big build up on my ear drums and i couldnt hear. You can use the safety swabs though. They go in the outer canal but are too fat to go in the inner canal of the ear and jam the wax down!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2010